Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Thoughts on Streaming Sites

While I haven’t had the chance to use streaming as much in the past, I’m thinking that I will be doing that some in the future. Maybe I’ll let you know my thoughts on it afterwards. What are my initial thoughts on streaming? Is there even much to say?

I normally don’t have much interest in shows outside of network television because I would have to pay money for it or borrow copies from people who are okay with me seeing it. This might change now that we have a streaming option like Peacock around which I’ve already used to see one show that I would not have been able to see otherwise. (Don’t expect a review of it right away, but do expect a lot of reviews for fall shows in the near future. Look for them in my other blogs before you see them here, a reversal in what I normally do.) Peacock is too new in my mind to release too many thoughts on it this time around. I am a bit annoyed that I need an account to use a free service, but I understand that they would need to know who is using it and what might change in the future.

The main issue that some would have with streaming services might not just be that you’ll have to pay for it since you either have to buy it on DVD or on the streaming site itself, but that there are a lot of parts of a franchise, such as Star Trek or The Good Wife in the form of its spin-off, that aren’t available a regular way for free that we are used to. Also, now that there are some many streaming sites instead of just one, this has lead to the so called streaming wars and could result in cancellations of shows just because their competitors now have their own streaming sites as well.

What can also be dumb relates to what has happened to some of the CBS all access shows. They have put some of those shows for free on TV. This shouldn’t be a problem, but it could easily irritate those who paid good money to watch something they thought that they wouldn’t be able to see otherwise. Was waiting all this time for the off chance to see it for free what everyone should do? But would it have even lasted without it? It is hard to tell what to do and if just going without is a better option.

And there you have it. I might get into my year of Disney+ in a year from now when I’m able to do that for a time. I haven’t even gotten how streaming affects video rental stores, but that doesn’t seem to matter as much in the TV world as it is more of a movie world thing. What else is there to say? Not much in my mind so I’m going to end the post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment