Thursday, September 24, 2020

Not Watching Comedies for Humor

There is a weird thing that I do at times. I don’t do it that often, but it happens often enough that I feel about writing a post about it. You probably wouldn’t think that one would watch a comedy if it weren’t for the humor of said comedy. Yet this is something that I do.

Why would I do that? Well, maybe I like the comedy enough despite the issues I might have with the humor in it to keep watching. Maybe I do like the humor of the comedy enough, but watch it more to see the great stories or wonderful characters instead. If it is a comedy-drama, then it is not too hard to think of coming for the drama instead of the humor.

I would feel like there’s a whole list of comedies that might be hard to think of offhand that I tend to watch for the stories, but not as much the humor. I can be perfectly fine never laughing once during this show and still coming back to it over and over.

As for examples of these shows, I felt that as much as I like Community, I don’t always watch it for its humor. The same can be said about Parks and Recreation. Modern Family is often entertaining, but is not always funny. I feel that it helps when a show is single camera instead of muti-camera. I can’t be as tolerant of a comedy with bad, little, no, or un-understandable humor if there isn’t an audience or laugh track in the background that tells me when it is supposed to be funny, but I don’t see it that way.

That’s all for this post. It doesn’t make as much sense to others as it does to me, but I still felt that it was worth doing a post about sometime so I am doing it now. This will be the last Thursday post for a while, but the regular Tuesday posts should hopefully be lasting weekly for a while. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment