Thursday, June 25, 2020

The Late Late Show: James Corden versus Craig Ferguson

It has been quite a while since I’ve done a post like this. I had done things like this before, but now feel the need to do it again. I can only hope that I can write this and other posts that I want to in certain time in the future. For now, let’s get to this post in question.

What was Craig Ferguson like? When his show was on at the time, he was probably my favorite of all the hosts. Still, he could be vulgar at times with his constant swearing. He was known for improvisation most of the time as he would famously rip up his interview cards at the start of every interview. He also had a robot skeleton as a sidekick at some point (I forget how long) and used puppets like a swearing rabbit for a time, but not in the later episodes towards the end. Outside of emails, he didn’t do as many bits on the show that recurred like you might see in other shows.

How he was good: His jokes worked practically all of the time and he was always engaging with all of his guests in a way you wouldn’t see typically from other hosts. His banter with his sidekick was the type of thing that you wouldn’t see as well done anywhere else despite the good chemistry from most of them in the end. He is a wonderful host.

How he was bad: He was vulgar in some ways and a bit inappropriate for some of the female hosts, it seems. Without as many bits that were done regularly on the show, it didn’t make as much sense or have as much to it like you’d see on other shows.

What is James Corden like? He can be goofy, but not always in a good way. I do like him a lot and think that his bits could use improvement at times or done away with entirely. Other bits of his are awesome and fun to watch at times, at least in some of the studio versions.

How he is good: He has awesome forms of humor that you don’t see as much from the other hosts and can make staying up that late worth it. The format where all the guests are being interviewed at once seems like more of an improvement than other ones as we are certain to hear from all of his guests, even if we here from some more than others.

How he is bad: While not on him, his sidekick sucks in many ways, such as his question at the end. About half of his bits fail a lot such as celebrity noses or other things that I’m not sure have names. He doesn’t always go the places he should with politics.

Who do I like better? This is a hard one for me since one is my old favorite and the other is my current favorite. Picking between two favorites isn’t that easy to do. But I do like Craig Ferguson more simply because I was used to him more. He narrowly wins this battle for me.


There are more late night comparisons that I can do in the future, but don’t know yet if I will soon or not. Some of what has changed since March of this year makes some of his harder to keep track of in the current moment. But I hope that you like this post nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment