Monday, June 15, 2020

If I Ran a TV Network

A lot of wishful thinking can happen with life and part of it could involve me having my own network. Whether it would be me somehow starting a new one or me taking over a current one, I do not know. I also don’t know which of the major network (or cable networks) I’d most want to take over. As much as I would love a network like CBS, for instance, could I actually take control of its programming and be good at it? And if I started a new network, how would I know what to do with it and what to air on it? Well, this is a totally hypothetical situation anyways and I don’t have to be realistic if I don’t want to be. What could I do if I ran a TV network?

I realize that there is not a lot of Christian programming on TV and it makes sense. It would be hard for sex to sell when a good chunk of Christians don’t do that until they are married. And I wouldn’t even want to cover all of primetime with something like this. But I would want to do programming on Sunday nights that would be Christian themed while maybe even doing a live Sunday variety show afternoons that day featuring various important things in the day.

A lot of networks have a certain format that they follow in terms of what they air each week or also during the summer. Sundays have ABC airing game shows during the summer. They air comedies on Wednesdays during the main season and often air reruns during most of the summer (but not this one). CBS and NBC air comedies on Thursdays. If I’m putting Christian shows on Sundays, then I could clearly put shows with other themes on other days of the week every week. I could also put on movies or some other special on Wednesdays during Lent and Advent so people don’t have to worry about missing those shows in the end as they’d be on hiatus.

I don’t know what I’d do for daytime shows or late night shows. But I might do something crazy in terms of what you’d see on other networks. I might not allow any news on the network as you can get that on all sorts of other places. The main reason why is so that there wouldn’t be any breaking news that cover the shows that people want to air instead or weather events showing over the show. (I don’t know if I could prevent weather from airing over it based on how some networks work so I’d say that the worst that could happen just might be a scrolling notice at the bottom of the screen.)

Whether or not I would get rid of the news, I’d still think of the one thing that is certain not to air on any of the networks that I would be in control of if I wasn’t taking charge of one that clearly used it or maybe only used it is sports. While I do watch sports at times, it is normally only so that I can see what is on after it and not because I actually care about it or like it. Of course, there are times that I care, but I more than often don’t most of the time. I don’t want sports messing up the programming that would be on that people want to rely on airing at a good time so I wouldn’t want any live events like sports to air over the shows that should be airing instead.

I don’t know if I’d have any live specials, but could do some prerecorded ones at times. I might want to put movies on at certain times of the day, especially during typical dead zones like most of Sunday before primetime starts or other things like that, although I don’t know what, outside of other movies, would air during oddly ended times if I did that and just didn’t want to extend the airtime of it.


While there’s not much to this post, I still think that I explained well enough how I would run my own TV network if I could and would be able to air something like that in the end. There may not be much of what would be different and I have no idea if such a thing could happen at all in the end. But I still think that this would work in the end if I wanted it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment