Friday, August 24, 2018

A Look at the Weinstein Effect: Version One

If there is one thing that won’t be changing any time soon, it is the fact that people will be accused of all sorts of problems, such as sexual harassment, and there will be issues for them as a result. I’m going to do a look at some of the cases thus far and what has happened. I will limit this to the television world for now because there isn’t much need to tell readers of this about the others affected. Note that this will not include everyone currently accused right now. Also, not all of these mentioned could be accurate as I could not find some follow-up information on some of them. Take any with a grain of salt.

Kevin Spacey: His show, House of Cards, will be ending without him as he was fired from it and pretty much anything else he would do or still be doing were it not for these allegations. I doubt that there is much of a future for him.

Louie C.K.: With some of these allegations possibly not true, I do have to admire ever so slightly that he admitted that the rumors against him were true. Of course, it would still be better if he hadn’t done the stuff he did in the first place. His show, Louie, is now in development hell where it will seem that nothing will ever come of it and there won’t be any more of it. He was more or less fired from it and I doubt that they could do his show without him. It’s named after him and I just don’t see it continuing, even to just wrap things up.

Ryan Seacrest: It would seem that the allegations against him might not be true or if they are, he is as of yet unaffected by it and remains employed in at least two different jobs: Live with Kelly and Ryan as well as American Idol. We’ll see if any problems do arise as it would seem unlikely if they didn’t if he weren’t absolved from the issue in some way.

Jeffrey Tambor: He was largely fired from what he was doing and is leaving projects with his old show, Transparent, ending without him. He is more than likely losing his role to a woman, and that’s if the show ends up continuing at all.

Danny Masterson: While he was working on The Ranch, he wound up fired from it with the season being split up into different parts, something Netflix normally never does. He was written out of the show in some way that I wouldn’t know about as I haven’t seen it.

Johnny Iuzzini: You might be wondering why I put someone as random as him on my list. It is because of the unusual things going on with his old show, The Great American Baking Show. It went on a sudden hiatus and has an unknown future. Will it show up again? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

T.J. Miller: His show, The Gorburger Show, was instantly cancelled upon the allegations against him being brought to light. While he remained in Deadpool 2, other issues could result from things like this happening. I think that an actor from Silicon Valley was fired and his character killed off because of the allegations against him, but I can’t keep track of them all.

Steve Harvey: I couldn’t find much, if any, information about the allegations against him. They might be so minor or not that important. He is currently unaffected and remains as a host of Family Feud, Steve, Celebrity Family Feud, Little Big Shots, and maybe other shows I can’t remember.

Brad Kern: The showrunner of NCIS: New Orleans was fired from his job. I don’t know who the new showrunner will be. I just hope that they can do a better job than he’s been doing over his tenor on the show. Of course, being a bad showrunner and being a bad person are two different things.

Anthony Anderson: He is currently unaffected be the allegations against him. I couldn’t find that much about it and it doesn’t seem to be too serious. Me not liking him has more to do with him being really annoying instead of the allegations I just learned recently about him. He is still employed on Black-ish and To Tell the Truth.

Leslie Moonves: Since the allegations against the CBS CEO are too recent, there is an unknown fate right now about how it will affect him or his marriage to Julie Chen. Maybe when/if I do a part 2 to this will there be more known about this.

Charlie Rose: He was fired from his role on CBS the Morning and his PBS show, Charlie Rose, wound up cancelled pretty much instantly. How did they fill the gap in the schedule so fast? I don’t know. But now it seems like it was never part of the network in the first place since they get along so well without it. Of all the TV stars with allegations against him, his might have been the one I was most upset by.

Matt Lauer: Like nearly everyone else that I’m talking about, he was fired from his role on The Today Show. With all of his creepy behavior coming to light, one can wonder why it took so long for them to get rid of him.

Garrison Keillor: While the allegations against him might have just been a misunderstanding, he was still nonetheless fired from his job and the show was rebranded without him. I have a book of his that I have not yet read, but I will read because I’m not going to avoid reading a book if I can help it.

Tavis Smiley: So many people came to his defense as they think that he didn’t do anything bad outside of breaking rules. This is one of the few accused that people have defended. Still, he was fired and his show was cancelled. There’s another person that people defended, but he isn’t on this list. I might have to wait until part 2 to talk about this other person who was on Parks and Recreation as well as the show Master of None.

Roger Ailes: With his being one of the earlier before everything snowballed, some might be offended to learn what had happened to him. While he left his job after the allegations, he wasn’t exactly fired from it and he still got a shitload of money. Now he’s dead and won’t cause anymore issues.

Bill O’Reilly: He was fired and his show was rebranded from The O’Reilly Factor to just The Factor. While he still does some work, it might not be the scope that it used to be. He has a podcast and it is likely that his books could still sell well.


I don’t yet know if I will do a part 2 of this later or not. You’d think that with the title of this post that a second post is certain. I guess that we will see as I just don’t know what all could still change. I mean, now a person who helped found #metoo is accused herself. There will probably only be more of some sort of varying degree and I should do an update of this at some point. I just don’t yet know for sure of if it will happen after all. Still, be on the lookout for it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment