Tuesday, August 30, 2016

A Look Back at My Fantasy Schedule for the 2016-2017 TV Season

Boy, I've been doing a lot of this blog. I'm surprised that I've been able to finish all of these updates for you. Now I have a bunch of random posts written and I might have to do them if other things aren't done in time. I can only hope that I can just keep doing updates over and over again. I will mostly be scaling back to just weekly updates on Saturdays and occasional random updates on other days. There will not be anything linked to me watching Survivor in a while. I will let you know if there are any major changes in this blog, but I'm kind of getting tired of updating it. Have I ever done this many posts in a month before?

Remember when I posted a fantasy schedule for what I thought the next season of TV would look like? Well, I’m back with a look back at that schedule. What did I get right? What did I get wrong? And what crazy things are the networks doing? We’ll see what some of what I thought happened versus what actually did happen the next season.

ABC: What I got right- I was right thinking that a new show would air after Dancing with the Stars. I was right thinking that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. would be moved back an hour so that they would have two hours of comedies on Tuesdays. I was right with all of the comedy predictions as to what would stay and what would go. I was right thinking that a new show would air on Wednesdays at 9. I was right with a lot of the predictions of what would air at different timeslots as most of them didn’t change. I was right thinking that a lot of the obscure summer shows would be cancelled (even though it wasn’t actually official in any way).

ABC: What I got wrong- I believe that I am wrong about Repeat after Me coming back. I’m probably wrong about Bachelor in Paradise getting cancelled. It appears that I thought that Uncle Buck wouldn’t air at all. I made no prediction about The Catch. I was wrong predicting that a new show would air at 8 on Sundays. I thought that Secrets and Lies would be a summer show instead of waiting to air during the fall. I didn’t know that Scandal would be moved to midseason and a new show would air in its place. I got a lot of the timeslots wrong with comedies such and not knowing when some would move to or when the two new ones would air.

CBS: What I got right- While I was wrong about the timeslot, I was right thinking that NCIS: Los Angeles would be moved to Sundays. I was right predicting that there would be a new comedy on Monday at 7:30. I was right thinking that there would be any comedies on Monday. I was right predicting that a new comedy would air on Thursdays after The Big Bang Theory. I was right predicting the cancellations of CSI: Cyber, Rush Hour, and Person of Interest. (I was right about a lot of other cancellations, but most of the others had already been announced.) I was right thinking that a new show would air on 9 on Thursdays. I was right thinking that Undercover Boss would once again be at midseason. I was right thinking that around two new dramas would air at midseason. I was right thinking that The Odd Couple would finally air during the fall season.

CBS: What I got wrong- I switched the timeslots of Madam Secretary and NCIS: Los Angeles. I was wrong predicting the cancellation of Code Black and the renewal of Limitless. I did not have the Amazing Race at midseason or Hawaii Five-0 at the fall season. I was wrong thinking that any comedies, new or old, would be at midseason (methinks this means that we’ll see a cut of the number of comedies sometime into the season). I was wrong thinking that the CSI franchise would have a new installment so soon. I was wrong thinking that Supergirl would still be on CBS in this next season. I did not have enough new dramas on the schedule for the fall. I made no predictions with Thursday Night Football, although I had no idea that it would be teamed up with NBC. I didn’t know that there would be two hours of comedies on Mondays or that Scorpion’s timeslot would be moved back as a result. I guessed all of the returning comedies’ timeslots wrong, except for some of The Big Bang Theory.

CW: What I got right- I was right thinking that a new show would air after The Flash. I was right thinking that The 100 and iZombie would both air at midseason. While I was technically wrong about a new show airing at 7 on Mondays, it is technically new to the network. I was right predicting the timeslots of Jane the Virgin, The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supernatural. I was right thinking that only one new show would be at midseason. While none of them were officially cancelled, I was right thinking that none of the new summer shows last season would return this season.

CW: What I got wrong- I was wrong thinking that anything new would air during the summer on this network, although a new version of MadTV did return. I had no idea that Supergirl would move to this network. I was wrong thinking that Crazy Ex-Girlfriend would be at midseason. I was wrong thinking that The Originals would air during the fall. I got Supernatural’s timeslot wrong.

FOX: What I got right- I was right thinking that new shit would air during the summer. I was right when I said that there would be more new shows than they needed. I was right thinking that a new animated comedy would air after The Simpsons. Except for Sleepy Hollow, I was right with all of the shows that I thought would be cancelled getting cancelled.

FOX: What I got wrong- There was a whole lot that I got wrong. I didn’t know when they’d air the shortened final season of Bones. I got many airdate predictions wrong such as thinking that the new 24 would air during the summer this season. I only thought that one new thing would air during the summer part of the schedule, it seems. I was wrong thinking that Grandfathered would return. In fact, there was so much that I was wrong about, I’m not going to bother listing any more. This network has started acting too much like a cable network, which has actually hurt its ratings a lot.

NBC: What I got right- While I got the exact name wrong, I was right thinking that Chicago Justice would air at midseason sometime. While I was wrong about it being a new show, I’m probably right thinking that a crappy reality show will air at 7 on Fridays. I mean, why are there so many shows that are just airing lame stuff from online? Why not just go to www.youtube.com and type in “some sort of stupid video” and watch all the results that play? I was right about most of the regular shows being at midseason as normal. I was right thinking that a new comedy would air after Superstore. I was right thinking that only one hour of comedy would air during the fall.

NBC: What I got wrong- Once again, I got a plethora of things wrong that it would be hard to list them all and, instead, I’m just listing the most notable mistakes. I misplaced the hour of comedies. I made the mistake of both thinking that Emerald City would air during the summer and that it would be cancelled shortly thereafter. (I still don’t know if I’ll be right about its inevitable cancellation, although if it’s as good as I hope it is, then I don’t want it to be cancelled. Sadly, it probably will be as it has nothing going for it.) I was wrong about the show I Can Do That being brought back this summer (although it was renewed before they gave it the shaft). I was wrong thinking that Get Out Alive and Running Wild would be cancelled. I failed at predicting various timeslots throughout the season.


Well, I feel that I did better at this the first time, although that list had its own flaws as well. I could never get the list of a network right, unless I owned the network myself. While that is one of my many dreams, I just don’t see that ever happening. Besides, even after announcing a schedule, there tends to be something different on at least one network by the time the fall actually rolls around. I guess that we will see if anything I was wrong about changes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment