Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Look Back at My 2013-2014 Cancellation Predictions

I remember when I grossly overestimated what shows from the 2013-2014 season would be cancelled. A lot of shows on that list were probably not going to be cancelled, but I decided to list a bunch anyways. Now I could mention all the shows that I predicted and whether or not they were cancelled, but I decided that, instead, I would just list all the cancelled shows and I would say whether or not I was right about them getting cancelled this season or not. If I said they would be cancelled, I’ll let you know. If they were cancelled and I said nothing about it being cancelled, then I’ll let you know. And, for the record, you can look back at my old blog post to know for sure that I’m telling you the truth on whether or not the show would be cancelled. I might skip some shows that don’t really apply to the predictions that I made.

American Dad (I knew nothing about this so even though it will live on another network, I was clueless that it was going to be cancelled), How I Met Your Mother (we all knew that it was ending this season so my prediction that it would end was correct), Nikita (the network announced that it was ending so I knew that it would be one of them), Lucky 7 (I had thought that this would be cancelled and I was right, although I wish I had known that it would get cancelled so soon), Murder Police (the bad title had nothing to do with people not watching the show as FOX cancelled it before it ever aired and possibly before they finished making it, although it was still a prediction of mine to be cancelled), We Are Men (this was the most obvious going to be cancelled show for me from the very beginning of the season, so I was right when I picked it), Surviving Jack (with so many people hating it before it started, its eventual cancellation didn’t surprise me), Ironside (the idea sounded like it wouldn’t work, but I wished that I had remembered this when it came time to do the dead pool at www.tv.com), Welcome to the Family (when you think about the main plot it had, I was right in thinking that it would be cancelled), Us and Them (I had no idea that this would die, but if it actually aired, then I might have known), Back in the Game (I’m not sure how I knew it was bad, but I was right and it was cancelled), Sean Saves the World (this struck me as not very interesting and seems like it would be cancelled), The Michael J Fox Show (since the network forwent a pilot, I thought that it wasn’t a good sign, although I do hope that the rest of the episodes wind up airing at some point), The X-Factor (this show’s cancellation makes sense, but I had no idea it was going to happen), Raising Hope (since it moved to Fridays, getting cancelled seemed more likely, but I did not think that it would be), Mind Games (I thought that the science fiction of the show would end up killing it, but it didn’t even have that in the first place), Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (for random reasons, I thought that it would be cancelled), Almost Human (since it was sci-fi, I thought that it wouldn’t last long), Dads (while I knew that it probably wouldn’t be among the very first cancellations, I knew that it wouldn’t last long and I was right), Rake (the bad title is what made me think it would get cancelled, although promos for it didn’t help change my opinion), Enlisted (I thought that it sounded lame, although I’m not entirely sure that’s what the end result was, it was still cancelled in the end), The Carrie Diaries (this might have been a random choice I had as a cancellation, but it was right nonetheless), Killer Women (because of its bad title, I thought that it would be cancelled and I was right), Star-Crossed (I thought that this didn’t sound long term although the writers should have known that before their cliffhanger finale), The Tomorrow People (even on the CW, a lot of great shows get cancelled and I can never figure out which ones for sure and definitely wasn’t right about this one), Mixology (high concept show with a premise that probably wouldn’t work is why this show’s cancellation was obvious for me), Trophy Wife (bad title rule turned out right), The Neighbors (with bad reception and rating, I figured that it wouldn’t last much longer and the writers stopped caring as well since they knew they were getting cancelled), Super Fun Night (maybe if I had seen more promos for this before it aired, then I would have been able to say it would be cancelled, but I didn’t think that with my mass predictions), Suburgatory (I was never impressed by this show, but since other people were, I had not thought it would end), Community (with the network liking to mess with it a lot, I thought that this would end), Growing up Fisher (maybe this was too obscure and among a group of unannounced shows, but I didn’t think that this would be cancelled), Revolution (I figured that whatever was going on with this show wasn’t going to help it), Believe (no clue that this would end), Crisis (it didn’t sound like a long term idea in my mind and it seemed similar to Hostages which also didn’t sound like it could make it long either), Friends with Better Lives (it fell victim to the CBS curse since a midseason show on their network doesn’t get renewed, basically, if it was a new CBS show, then I had it listed as cancelled), Hostages (people didn’t like it and that typically kills a show and I predicted that a short term thing like this probably wouldn’t work), Intelligence (unless you only want to last one season, who wants to be a midseason replacement on CBS?), The Crazy Ones (the show might have been too crazy for people to work on TV long term and I knew that it would be cancelled, plus CBS doesn’t typically do single camera sitcoms so how both this and Bad Teacher wound up in the same season is beyond my understanding, although their cancellations don’t surprise me in the least), Bad Teacher (I don’t think that this show was on my list since CBS picked it up for midseason at the last minute, although this doesn’t matter since I would have called it dead anyways), Dracula (I thought that people would be over vampires and this one was right), Betrayal (typically, the more obscure a show, the more likely it is to be cancelled, although this one had slipped my mind because I didn’t list it with others).


Okay, now I will mention other notable cancelled shows and since my predictions are typically limited to prime time, then you’ll know why they weren’t on the list of stuff I predicted right. Summer shows are also in the category of shows I don’t normally predict cancellations about, making me similar to the cancellation bear of www.tvbythenumbers.com. Other notable cancelled shows that weren’t on primetime and not on my list of predictions were The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, America Now, Bethenny, Judge Alex, The Test, and Trisha. There might be more that haven’t been announced yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment