Sunday, November 6, 2022

The Ten Worst Episodes of 2021

While I have covered a lot of the best episodes of television in the past, I’ve decided that it is now a good idea to cover the worst of television from the previous year. There are ten that I’m going with this time around. I don’t know if I’ll go with more or less in future years.

 

#10 Celestial Body (Debris): The last episode of this show left too much unresolved in the end. I don’t know why shows do that sometimes. While it was hardly one of the worst series finales, it was bad enough to earn its place on this list.

 

#9 Ariana Grande & Blake Shelton versus Kelly Clarkson & John Legend (That’s My Jam): I think that this type of show would simply work better instead as just random segments of The Tonight Show instead of just a random and meaningless competition show that has no purpose in the end.

 

#8 My Mother, Myself (Our Kind of People): This was the only episode that I saw of this plotless show. The fact that I still have no idea what this show is about after having seen this episode proves just how bad that it was.

 

#7 1999 (Queens): While a lot of the pilots sucked in the 2021-2022 season, this wasn’t nearly as bad as some of the others that you’ll see on this list, but it was pretty dumb. It sought to reunite a girl group from the 90s with all of their current issues coming to light at once. It didn’t work and lots of people didn’t watch it since it was clear that it didn’t have any quality content to it.

 

#6 Plus One (Call Me Kat): Here’s another horrible pilot. I’m not sure if multi-camera comedies are on their way out, but this is more of the reason why they should be since a show that’s unfunny is only going to seem way worse with laughter in the background. A lot of star talent on this show is wasted on such terrible material that just does not work.

 

#5 Repo/Wepas Geri (The United States of Al): The potential goodness of this show didn’t last long as it took me being behind on shows to not just get disinterested in it right after the second season premiere had happened. The plot focused on what seemed like Al stealing cars for a living when he was doing legal work possibly? It was hard to tell and make sense of a lot of it. But it could have focused more on the aftermath of the fall of Kabul, but didn’t.

 

#4 Chapter Ninety-Eight: Mr. Cypher (Rivervale): While I could pick the entire Rivervale arc to be among the worst episodes of the season, it was this episode, where Satan convinced people to sell their souls to him, that was the most absurd of the whole arc.

 

#3 I Want You Back (The Big Leap): The worst of all of the pilot shows in 2021, it is hard to say just how bad this episode was. I don’t watch to watch more of a series that is like this. It mocks reality shows while trying to appeal to them. It has horrible lines like, “[this guy’s] finally gay!” And there was just so much wrong with any and all of the subplots that there was absolutely nothing in here that could keep me into a second episode like this.

 

#2 The Last Weekend (Prodigal Son): While there was a lot of this show’s sophomore slump to put on the bad episode list, the last episode was the pinnacle of terribleness in regards to this show. It can represent almost perfectly everything wrong with a show’s final episode. It had a cliffhanger ending, focused on something largely unrelated to the entire series, and just overall failed every other way. I don’t know just how much worse this episode could have be.

 

#1 Watchdog (NCIS): As a long time fan of this show, it is absolutely horrendous that this episode exists. This show largely does good episodes still, but this one doesn’t so much suck just because of how bad the episode was but because of how important it is as a key episode of the show marking a turning point into the series setting up the ultimate departure of Gibbs. Could there really not be something better that he could cross the line with than dead dogs relating to animal abuse? And the rest of the team was briefly in trouble as well. I hate everything about this episode and cannot think of a worse thing to have aired the entire past year.

 

That’s all that I can think of relating to this blog post. There are some recurring posts that I feel need to be done sooner rather than later. We’ll see when or if I get them done in the end. I still need to do the best and the worst of the decade relating to the 2010s. And I have no idea just when I’ll get to the cancelled shows of this past season. I know that I’ll need to cover new shows at some point in time. So you’ll have a lot to look forward to over time if I can get it all done in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment