Saturday, April 2, 2022

Does Hollywood have a Trans Problem?

There has been something that I’ve been wondering for a while now. I’ve noticed something that can seem a bit weird regarding how transgender people are portrayed on TV in regards with trans actors and actresses. Why do trans actors only seem to play trans characters?

Why do I think this is a problem? Well, there seems to be no issues that people have with cisgender people playing trans characters. Shouldn’t trans people be allowed to play cisgender characters? Would they not look the part? But doesn’t that sound offensive? It seems weird that every notable trans actor that I’m familiar with only plays trans characters and never any cisgender ones. Surely, they should be able to play cisgender people if they want to.

Do they not want to play cisgender characters? Do they want to increase trans representation by always playing characters that are trans like them? I have no idea what their thoughts are on this. This could mean that they aren’t offended by only seeming to be given the roles of trans characters. This could be the only role that they ever want.

Honestly, I’m not sure if there really is a trans problem in Hollywood. I think that they should be able to play cisgender characters and have no idea why this doesn’t seem to happen at all. And maybe if we never saw cisgender actors and actresses playing trans characters, then this wouldn’t seem weird at all to me. I am not sure myself if there is a problem. Maybe I’m seeing things that aren’t there.

No comments:

Post a Comment