Saturday, April 16, 2022

The CW Schedule: Currently TV's Greatest Juggling Act

The only thing that I can think of that is harder to juggle than the CW schedule is my blogging. But that’s not what I’m talking about this time. In fact, I’m trying not to blog about blogging as I don’t have a blog for it and only put it in this blog at times because I want to write something but am unsure where to put it at all. But I’m supposed to be talking about what the title of this post is about.

You see, ever since around the spring of 2020 when the world of TV production went to hell because of the pandemic, some networks knew what to do. FOX largely took a temporary break from the normal season pushing the bulk of their main programming to midseason. They had the sense not to do full seasons so that they could return to normal episodes from the next season onward. The networks called the big three, namely CBS, ABC, and NBC, were largely hopeful of a regular season, but had to delay it just a bit to November with other promised shows here and there delayed until midseason or even later as in future seasons if it couldn’t be done as normally right away. They weren’t abnormal for long.

And then we get to the CW network. They have to juggle between shows that have special effects and all of them that don’t. They have to deal with some shows not being filmed in California versus a lot of them in Canada versus some in Georgia and plenty of others places as well. The main issues that could have been affecting some shows over others might not even be known. Why did it take so long for a show like Dynasty to return? It is hard to know offhand without looking up more about the production of some shows versus others.

One of the main issues with the CW in terms of why they have to deal with such a bloated schedule is that they weren’t willing to cut a lot of the episode orders. If I ran a network, I probably would have done more like the FOX approach. I would have wanted each show to have 13 episodes plus whatever number wasn’t done the previous season that was supposed to be. I highly doubt that I’d ever be in that part of the production schedule if my dream of being involved with TV shows ever comes true. I do know that I plan to have a taste of some of my fiction writing (versus the usual blogging that I do) in one of this blog’s posts in the end.

Still, how has the CW been juggling shows since the spring of 2020? Well, they were able to air a lot of shows, most of them acquired, to finish out the spring and summer that we might not have otherwise got to see at all. They had their fall schedule largely good in terms of new shows with the last of the one main holdover from last season finishing out its run.

It took a while for some of the regular shows to return and they had the issues of Supergirl having to deal with its star Melissa Benoist being on maternity leave, a schedule complicated a lot by the whole pandemic which could have also seen a different final season if they had gotten what they wanted originally. It had some episodes in the spring but largely didn’t finish until the fall.

This lead this season to have the latest airing fall shows that I remember seeing ever. That’s why both of the season shows that finished out the Tuesday night before the Christmas break wound up having five episode events before taking another break to both return later. The Flash had its arc. And Riverdale veered off into the absurd with its own arc.

While the schedule remains complicated still with us, the viewers, not knowing whether or not it will ever go back to normal, we have to remember that even when it was normal, the network still had a whole lot of the unusually late airing shows in the schedule that went off into all sorts of unnormal airtimes of various sorts. This could become the new normal for some shows. It is hard to know and keep track of for sure.

That’s about all I can think of for this post. I wondered about a bit some, more than I would have liked, and I included more than I originally thought that I would say as this is supposed to be an easy post to get done and over with for me to finish out the Easter weekend. Well, I’m done with this post now and hope that it makes sense and explains what I meant to cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment