Saturday, January 1, 2022

My Planned Viewing Habits: Midseason 2022

This seems like a fitting post to be the first one of the year. I didn’t get this done in time last year, but did decide to post it late for one reason or another. (Speaking of late posts, should either of my two regular readers of this blog place any bets as to whether I can get the cancelled shows from last season post done before February? I can’t even promise that it will be on time next year, but I do think that I have more of a good reason this year than others.) Thus, I’m going to get this done before any of this becomes irrelevant or outdated in the end. I think that I will simplify and shorten this post.

Returning shows still into: The Rookie, The Equalizer, NCIS: Los Angeles, The Simpsons, The Great North, Bob’s Burgers, Family Guy, NCIS, 9-1-1, Batwoman, Station 19, Grey’s Anatomy, FBI, FBI: Most Wanted, The Resident, New Amsterdam, Survivor, Bull, B Positive, Young Sheldon, Law and Order: SVU, Law and Order: Organized Crime, The Flash, Magnum P.I., Nancy Drew, Home Economics, Blue Bloods, Legends of Tomorrow, and S.W.A.T. There are more that I will get to in a separate section.

New shows still watching still on at midseason: FBI: International, Ghosts, NCIS: Hawai’i, and Ordinary Joe, although the last one won’t be lasting long until it is over forever. It will finish the episode order and be done with, having been cancelled unofficially until the official May announcement.

Shows still into not on at midseason: The only shows that this applies to are CSI: Vegas, La Brea, and Whose Line is it Anyways? Anything else I watch watched that was new I never tuned back into a second time. I’ll get to those soon.

New midseason shows to watch: Tom Swift, Professionals, Naomi, March, Leonardo, Great Chocolate Showdown, Bump, Good Sam, Women of the Movement, The Cleaning Lady, Krapopolis, Monarch, Next Level Chef, Pivoting, Welcome to Flatch, Domino Masters, and Would I Lie to You? I had also checked out That’s My Jam which got an early premiere, but won’t be watching that again.

The returning shows coming back at midseason that I still care about are Charmed, Dynasty, Kung Fu, and Mr. Mayor. Based on scheduling and reception issues (although NBC often comes in fine in one of my affiliates that I get in the living room and on my laptop, just not the other affiliate that I get in the in the kitchen or the basement, both of which could make use of a VCR that the living room couldn’t), I doubt that I will see much, if any, of Mr. Mayor.

There were a lot of fall shows that I didn’t stick with. I only watched a lot of them once. Legends of the Hidden Temple didn’t work as well as it could have and the standalone format had no draw to keep me coming back to it time and time again. The Big Leap was awful making its 100% rating (the highest rating for what’s considered the best) on Rotten Tomatoes baffling. I couldn’t even tell what Our Kind of People was supposed to be about and Alter Ego just seemed like they were trying to do The Masked Singer with ordinary people. Queens was overall dumb with too many terrible characters that I don’t want to follow up with or keep track of.

We now get to the shows that I’m unsure of whether or not I’ll stay into them. Riverdale has changed too much since it returned for its new season. I’ve given up that show before so we’ll see if I get back into it again. The Chase is something that I’ll watch if only nothing else is on that I care about then. Big Sky is something that I easily lose track of having missed far too much of it and I may just want to cut my losses regarding it if I can phase my way out of it.

The United States of Al is something that I got into a bit more after its season premiere, but I might not like it enough to stay into it long term. 4400 seems too boring in some places and I already have a special post planned on an aspect about it that I don’t like.

Another weird thing that happened is that I don’t see Jimmy Kimmel Live as much anymore ever since there was a commercial for My Pillow that aired during it. Of course, I shouldn’t be seeing any late night shows anymore as I should be sleeping in preparation for first shift. This is supposed to make The Tonight Show my new primary, but I often now go with The Late Show, which is now the secondary. It did have the priority of Jimmy Kimmel first ever since my original primary, David Letterman, retired.

As I close out of this post, I should note that these are only plans and I might not stick to them in the end. I may not see a show that I originally wanted to or I may watch something that I originally didn’t plan to. I also may not watch a show a second time. I don’t even know how often I do something like a courtesy watch and if that’s something that other people do or not. I might also end up watching How We Roll at least once as comedies that I haven’t seen paired with ones that I have are often ones that I’m more likely to check out at some point in time. (This could also be poison for any new show that is paired with one that I don’t like.) So we’ll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment