Tuesday, January 18, 2022

No, Siri; Don’t Remind me to Watch

I forget how long it has been since I’ve seen this used in ads. There will be part of an ad that tells you something along the lines of this: Hey, Siri. Remind me to watch [some TV show]. This shouldn’t be an annoying ad as it lasts maybe 15 seconds or even less. But it can be a problem for those who have Siri. I don’t have a Siri device myself. But plenty of people do.

 

Now I can understand if you just finished watching a show and it tells you to watch more of the show that you just watched. But sometimes a network will just randomly air a reminder to watch whatever show is on the network that could be unrelated to what you are watching.

 

Why is this a problem? Well, as I’ve learned from other shows like Jimmy Kimmel Live, any device that you might have would be programmed to obey any order given to it. This means that any show that Siri hears that one should be reminded to watch would pick up and register. Thus, one may be told to watch any show that one may not have watched or care about in any way. And this may happen just because you were trying to enjoy something else.

 

This might not be too annoying to some people. I can let people read this and see if they have issues with it or not. Maybe one can easily cancel whatever Siri said with the annoyance that it has shown up at least once. But this is still a potential problem that shouldn’t happen. People shouldn’t be allowed to say this in ads and thus enable these updates to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment