Saturday, October 16, 2021

Mondays in Primetime Version 8

Mondays are a day that I’ve had mixed feelings about at times, but they tend to have good shows a lot of the time now. It seems to air a lot of new things a lot of the time. NBC shows a lot of different things over time. They mostly show The Voice as the first show for most of the year. ABC airs Dancing with the Stars in the fall, The Bachelor in the winter, and American Idol during the spring. It airs other things throughout the year. The Good Doctor is the current end of their schedule. CBS shows two different comedies right now at this time and this have two dramas. FOX is airing 9-1-1 and The Big Leap. The CW will not be kept track of this time due to their schedule changing.

The Neighborhood: Status- Currently on CBS at 8/7 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- I tend to watch a CBS show at least once and this was no exception. Description- A white family moves into a predominately black neighborhood. Notable People- It has Max Greenfield from New Girl. It has Beth Behrs from 2 Broke Girls. It has Tichina Arnold from Everybody Hates Chris. Pros- It has a more racially equal cast than what you typically see. Cons- It wasn’t really any good or funny. The material does not work that well. Note to Parents- There might be some issues with it at time in terms of if kids should watch this or not, but it is probably better than most. Recommendation- I’d pass on this. My Viewing Habits- I only watched this once. Prediction- This will probably last for now as enough other people like it. Reception: mixed to negative. Grade: D.

9-1-1: Status- Currently on FOX at 8/7 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- When I first watched it, nothing else that I cared about was on. Description- Various emergency workers are shown from their professional life to their personal lives. Notable People- Jennifer Love Hewitt, from Ghost Whisperer and Criminal Minds, is a character on the show. Peter Krause, from Parenthood and The Catch, is another person on the show. Pros- The plot is good and works most of the time. Cons- Some of it can seem a bit unrealistic at times. A lot of what happens can seem like filler. Note to Parents- There are lesbians on the show. The episodes air with a content adversary warning. Some of what happens can be violent more than it needs to be. Recommendation- I think that it is good and worth watching if you have the time for it. My Viewing Habits- I starting watching into its second season around March and plan to keep watching when I can until it ends. Prediction- This will probably keep lasting for now and should air 100 episodes. Reception: positive. Grade: A.

Dancing with the Stars: Status- Currently on ABC at 8/7 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- I watched it since James Van Der Beek was in a season of it. Description- Celebrities team up with professional dancers to compete on a live show. Notable People- Carrie Ann Inaba, formerly of The Talk, is a judge on the show. Tyra Banks, from America’s Next Top Model and a talk show of her name, is the current host of it. Pros- It can be better and more interesting than one might think, giving its genre. Cons- Too much time is wasted on this show due to set up to dances and other competitions. Note to Parents- Outside of sometimes inappropriate outfits, there might not be too much bad in the show, although you’d have to watch for yourself. Recommendation- This isn’t too bad, but isn’t outstanding either. The main reason why one wouldn’t want to watch it would be time commitment to other things. Prediction- This will probably keep lasting. Reception: good. Grade: B-.

Bob Hearts Abishola: Status- Currently on CBS at 8:30/7:30 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- I tend to watch a CBS show at least once when I can. Description- A man falls for a medical person who treated him after he was sent to the hospital. Notable People- This stars Billy Gardel from Mike and Molly. It also was created by (or at least produced by) Chuck Lorre who also did Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory, and Mom, among other things. Pros- This had some parts that worked and could be interesting long term. Cons- I wasn’t finding much good or funny in it. Note to Parents- This might have the usual problems that you might expect from most of the TV shows nowadays. Recommendation- Don’t bother with it. My Viewing Habits- I watched the first episode, but never cared about seeing it again. Prediction- This will probably last. Reception: mixed. Grade: D.

The Big Leap: Status- Currently on FOX at 9/8 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- I tend to watch a new FOX show at least once. Noteworthiness- This is adapted from a foreign TV show, I’m pretty sure at least. Description- This is a drama about people who want to be on a dancing reality show with all of the other things going on in their lives. Notable People- This has Scott Foley from The Unit and Scandal among other shows. Pros- There are some different things about it. Cons- This show is very dumb and pointless, seeking to mock what most people think the reality show business is like and not offering anything good. Note to Parents- There are a lot of objectionable things in here and you should not let your kids watch it. Teens might be fine to see this, but not any younger. Recommendation- This is a fail and not worth keeping up with. My Viewing Habits- I watched the pilot, but won’t see a second episode. Prediction- This is likely to fail. Reception: generally favorable. Grade: D. New review

NCIS: Status- Currently on CBS at 9/8 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- My brother and the rest of my family liked the show and I thought it was good enough to watch all the time. Noteworthiness- It is a spin-off of the show JAG. At least at the beginning, the cases on the show were inspired by real cases. I don’t know if they still are. It has three spin-offs. It is the longest running of the dramas that are still on the air on CBS with new episodes. Description- A team of federal agents solves murders of marines and navy members as well as other crimes relating to them and other people. Notable People- Wilmer Valderama from That 70’s Show, Awake, and Minority Report, is a character on this show. Pros- It stays fresh despite its long time on the air. The humor is quite interesting. Cons- It is running out of steam. It has lost a lot of its cast as it has gone along. Note to Parents- I’ve noticed enough bad stuff in here, but mostly related to violence more than anything else. I watched this as a teen and don’t see why others can’t too. Recommendation- It is one of my favorite shows. I say watch it if you have the chance too and aren’t already. My Viewing Habits- I got into this later originally but have since gotten older seasons on DVD and have seen most episodes by now. Prediction- It could be in danger of ending. Ratings wise, you have nothing to be worried about. But given its long time on the air, recent timeslot change, and other knowns and unknowns, there is more to be worried about than not. Reception: very positive. Grade: A+.

Ordinary Joe: Status- Currently on NBC at 10/9 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- Adam Rodriguez  is in it so I watched it to review for a blog of mine. Noteworthiness- This is based on something called The Format. This was originally written as a pilot back in 2006 before being revived. It was also delayed due to covid related shutdowns such as the originally filming and airing of the show in question. Description- We see three different timelines of the life of one man. It is not that much of a supernatural or science fiction show as it is a regular show done with parallel timelines at once. Notable People- This has Adam Rodriguez from CSI: Miami, among other things. Pros- The show is pretty interesting and it seems simple enough to keep the three timelines separate. Cons- It can be confusing at times. Note to Parents- There are some issues with it that you might typically see in a show from time to time. I don’t think that there is too much wrong in here that preteens and older can’t watch. Recommendation- I say that you might as well enjoy this while you can. My Viewing Habits- I’ve seen this from the start and hope to stay with it until the last episode of this airs. Prediction- This might not last. Reception: somewhat favorable. Grade: B. New review

The Good Doctor: Status- Currently on ABC at 10/9 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- It looked like a pretty good show to me. Noteworthiness- This is an adaptation of a South Korean show. Description- A young doctor with autism starts working with other doctors and has to overcome stigma. Notable People- Hill Harper, from CSI: New York, stars on this show as well. David Shore, the creator of House, is also the creator of this show as well. Pros- This is wonderful with well written characters, plots, and overall believable medical situations. Cons- Not all the characters are nice people. I know that happens a lot and it can be needed at times, but it can still be a problem. Note to Parents- This is mostly acceptable for kids, but there are some problems with it in terms of what age can watch. I’d say that pre-teens and older should be good with this. Recommendation- I think that everyone should watch this. My Viewing Habits- I know that I have not seen every episode, but I have watched this as much as I can over the course of time and have been a fan of this from the first episode. I missed this show for a while due to work commitments. Prediction- This is getting good ratings for now so it will stay for as long as that lasts. Reception: mixed to positive. Grade: A+.

NCIS: Hawai’i: Status- Currently on CBS at 10/9 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- I am a fan of this franchise so I watched this show as well. Noteworthiness- This is a spin-off of the NCIS series, the fourth one in the franchise to bare that name. Description- An NCIS team investigates cases in Hawaii. Pros- This show is pretty good and keeps everything that you’d expect from the franchise. Cons- It is run of the mill and ordinary. Note to Parents- There are lesbians on this. The violence is typical of what you would see on TV nowadays. Recommendation- I suggest keeping up with it. My Viewing Habits- I’ve watched this since the first episode and plan to watch it until the end. Prediction- This seems likely to last for now. It will probably last at least 100 episodes. For now, it has gotten a full season order. Reception: somewhat positive. Grade: A. New review

No comments:

Post a Comment