Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Wednesdays in Primetime Version 7

Wednesdays can be good with television. This is the day of the week I’m most likely to miss shows on a regular basis whenever church gets in the way during Advent and Lent. There are some interesting shows and it has some of my favorite shows. ABC shows comedies before ending with a drama. NBC often shows the Chicago franchise all night, but not just yet. The CW shows Devils and Coroner. CBS shows various shows right now. FOX is airing The Masked Singer and I Can See Your Voice.

The Goldbergs: Status- Currently on ABC at 8/7 Central on Wednesdays. Why I’ve seen it- The first time was because I was unable to stop recording a tape after a different program stopped airing which recorded a whole episode of this show. I watched more episodes because I thought that it might be good after watching that particular episode. Noteworthiness- It is somewhat based off of true events. Description- It is about a man’s life growing up in the eighties when he was a kid and is based on details that actually happened (although I’m not sure just how much). Pros- It can be pretty good and funny sometimes. Cons- It doesn’t make a lot of sense sometimes and can be a bit odd. Plus, there are normally always errors when setting things in the past. Note to Parents- This is borderline over what is and isn’t acceptable so I suggest you watch for yourself to make your own decision. This is a whole lot better in terms of content than you see in most shows nowadays. Recommendation- It is a good show to watch. My Viewing Habits- While I like this show, I normally don’t watch it since too many other things I like air at the same time. I might see more in syndication in the future, when Survivor is on break, or various other reasons that I would like to watch it. Prediction- It will keep lasting like it has already. Reception: mostly mixed. Grade: B-.

Devils: Status- Currently on the CW at 8/7 Central on Wednesdays. Why I’ve seen it- I tend to watch a new CW show at least once. Noteworthiness- This is a British show that has aired in the US. Description- I don’t quite understand the plot of it. It relates in some way to banks. Notable People- This stars Patrick Dempsey who is a movie star and also starred in Grey’s Anatomy. Pros- This show is ordinary so one would know what to expect from it. Cons- I couldn’t make much sense of this and didn’t like it as a result. Note to Parents- This is probably not good for kids. Recommendation- Don’t bother with this. Prediction- I have no idea if it will last here or there, but know that it probably won’t here even if it does there and don’t care if it lasts here or not. Reception: good. Grade: F. New review

The Masked Singer: Status- Currently on FOX at 8/7 Central on Wednesdays. Why I’ve seen it- It turns out that Shad Moss, whose career I follow for a blog, was on the show so I watched it to see what it was like. Noteworthiness- This is adapted from a South Korean show and is the first non Asian adaptation of the show. Description- Different celebrities in masks compete on a singing show where the loser gets unmasked. While all get unmasked at some point, the winner goes the longest without this fate. Notable People- Ken Jeong, from Community and Dr. Ken, is a judge on the show. Pros- This doesn’t have as bad a voting problem as other reality competition shows since what we see is always pretaped. Even if they aren’t professional singers, they can still be good. Cons- Some have complained that the results of voting is too random and can eliminate great professional singers from the game. Too much of this seems wasted on the banter between the judges and host or trying to guess the identities of the singers. Note to Parents- I haven’t seen enough of this to know if it is bad, but my guess is that this is something the whole family could watch. Recommendation- I think that it is a good show in the end and worth keeping up with if you don’t care much about anything else. My Viewing Habits- I saw this once and don’t know yet if I will see it again due to scheduling conflicts. Prediction- This will probably last quite a while since it is said to be the most watched show now. Reception: somewhat mixed. Grade: B-. New review

The Amazing Race: Status- Currently on CBS at 8/7 Central on Wednesdays. Why I’ve seen it- It was originally something that my family was into. Description- Teams of two different people race around the world to hopefully win a million dollars. It is a reality show. Pros- There is a different group of people each season, in case you don’t like one. It has some interesting moments and is hard to get out of once you start watching on episode. The critics love it and give it awards. Cons- If you don’t get into it soon enough, it won’t interest you. The problems that happen to the contestants that lead to a commercial break tend to be solved when it returns before a minute has past. It can be hard to stay into the whole season sometimes. Every episode follows the same basic premise and can get predictable. It isn’t as interesting as other shows are. It can be a bore sometimes with the redundancy of what always happens in every episode. There have been times where they hired contestants who have already worked on other reality shows. It can still be seen as a work in progress despite it being on the air a long time. Contestants have regularly gotten screwed in challenges on the show. Note to Parents- This is probably acceptable for your kids to watch, although it is borderline on that front. Recommendation- Take it or leave it. Like most reality shows, you may not like it, you may loathe it like every reality show, or you can’t live without it. My Viewing Habits- I used to watch this all the time, but stopped watching as I felt it couldn’t do anything it hadn’t already done. While I don’t watch this anymore, I still like it. Prediction- I’m not really that sure about what will happen with this anymore. It might be approaching the end of its life on TV. Or it might stay around for longer. Reception: positive then more negative. Grade: C-.

American Housewife: Status- Currently on ABC at 8:30/7:30 Central on Wednedays. Why I’ve seen it- It aired with a show that I liked and nothing else that I cared about was on at the time. Description- This is more or less your average sitcom revolving around a family of people. Notable People- This show stars Katy Mixon from Mike and Molly. Pros- This is better than what one might expect. Cons- Some of it is dumb and way to similar to other shows. Note to Parents- There is enough in here that will be bad for kids, although a lot of shows are way worse. There are lesbian characters. Recommendation- Take it or leave it. I like it, but I know that it isn’t for everyone. My Viewing Habits- I started watching it into its first season, but never cared that much about whether or not I tuned in a lot. I have missed parts of it at times due to me choosing other shows at the time. Prediction- This might be in more danger since it moved to Fridays, but could last longer. Reception: mixed. Grade: B-.

Coroner: Status- Currently on the CW at 9/8 Central on Wednesdays. Why I’ve seen it- I tend to watch a new CW show at least once. Noteworthiness- This is a Canadian show that is airing in the US. It is based on the Jenny Cooper book series. Description- This is a murder mystery show largely shown from a coroner’s perspective. Pros- What I’ve seen of it thus far is pretty interesting and worth watching. Cons- It can be odd in some places, hard to follow and understand in others. Note to Parents- This is probably not something that kids should be exposed to, but teens are okay to watch this. Recommendation- I would have to say that one should watch this. Prediction- Whether or not it last doesn’t depend on US viewers, but will depend on Canadian viewers instead. Whether or not it lasts and airs here is another thing. I predict that it will last here as long as it lasts there. Reception: good. Grade: B. New review

I Can See Your Voice: Status- Currently on FOX at 9/8 Central on Wednesdays. Why I’ve seen it- I often now watch a new FOX show at least once when it airs. Description- A contestant has to figure out who can sing and can’t sing with the identification of good singers (or at least one) if they can pick who all is bad, getting money as a result, all without hearing their voice. Notable People- Ken Jeong from Community and Dr. Ken is the host and creator of this show. Pros- The show is pretty straightforward. Cons- I don’t know how much of this could be considered fair to every contestant who does this game. Note to Parents- I doubt that much of this would be bad for kids. Even use a V-chip or see if the reason that it is PG (unless it is ever outright G) is something that you have an issue with. Recommendation- I don’t think that this show is bad per say, but I don’t think that it is worth watching. Prediction- I think that it could last, but probably won’t if they don’t need extra shows like this. Reception: average. Grade: D+. New review

Black-ish: Status- Currently on ABC at 9:30/8:30 Central on Wednesdays. Why I’ve seen it- I had time the one time I tuned in. Noteworthiness- This is based on a true story or might have been at one point in time when it first started out. Description- This sitcom is about a black family. Pros- It is popular with critics. Cons- I thought that this show was terrible. I didn’t find any of it funny nor did I understand the purpose that it had. Note to Parents- Having only seen one episode, I don’t know what to put here. It might be okay for kids, but I really don’t know for sure what to tell people. Recommendation- I wouldn’t watch it, but that’s just me. My Viewing Habits- I don’t watch it. I only saw it once then had no interest in watching it again since it just didn’t click with me. Prediction- This will keep lasting longer. Reception: positive. Grade: D. 

48 Hours: Suspicion: Status- Currently on CBS at 10/9 Central. Why I’ve seen it- I always watch a new CBS show at least once. Noteworthiness- This is a spin-off of 48 Hours that arguably isn’t even a different show. Description- I have no idea what makes this different from the rest of the 48 Hours franchise other than a supposed difference of some sort. Pros- It is exactly what you’d expect from this type of show. Cons- I don’t tend to like true crime most of the time, so I don’t like this. Note to Parents- This is not something that kids should be exposed to. Recommendation- Don’t watch this. Prediction- It might not last, but that won’t matter as long as the parent show stays around. Remember 48 Hours: NCIS? Reception: unknown, but probably what I have for the regular 48 Hours. Grade: D+. New review

No comments:

Post a Comment