Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Predicting the Next CW’s Final Season Shows: 2020 Version

In the first of any of these planned posts, I thought that I would do a prediction of which of the CW’s shows would be airing its final season after this season is over. The CW is getting to be predictable with which of their shows will be ending that unless it is a rookie show, it doesn’t end randomly without it getting a proper end of a final season. With most of their shows renewed already, I might as well go through all of them and predict which of them could end versus which of them will probably last at least beyond the 2020-2021 season and maybe longer.

Let’s quickly go through the criteria of what will fit and what will not. For one, this list will ignore the shows of Katy Keene and Stargirl, neither of which have been renewed and the latter has yet to air. I will also be ignoring all of the summer shows since there’s not much to know about them. The 100 will be airing its final season in the future so there’s no need to cover it. I will be factoring in a lot of what will be when they can get rid of a show too since a low episode count or season number will mean that they are probably not going anywhere even if they shouldn’t have lasted this long anyways.

All American- I give this a 20% chance of ending next season. It would probably last since they need to milk at least syndication out of this as they would with every show they don’t off in the first season. It will need a lot more episodes airing and seasons beyond just a third before the CW would get rid of it and take it off the network as a result.

Batwoman- I give this a 5% chance of ending next season. I mean, this is Arrowverse and they’d probably get rid of an older part of this franchise, the newest part, or nothing at all if they don’t want to. They need more of this show as they will be keeping it around as a result.

Black Lightning- I give this a 10% chance of ending next season. This may be a limited run series, but since it will be airing a fourth episode but still below the syndication threshold, it will probably last and it might not have a chance of ending soon since it is part of Arrowverse now.

Charmed- I give this a 3% chance of ending next season. Even if they cut the episode number short, this is very close to the right number of episodes that they need for it to last into syndication and the hatred of the fans of the original who haven’t bothered to give this show a chance seems to be the only thing that is negative against this. Even if that does harm the show’s future chances, it wouldn’t be ending that soon, although the fourth season could be the end of it.

Dynasty- I give this a 45% chance of ending next season. While not on the side where I think that it would be in danger of ending, it is a bit more worrisome than others might be. It would have enough episodes for the lower threshold of syndication, although you’d think that they’d want to milk out at least 100 episodes of it before showing it the door.

The Flash- I give this a 30% chance of ending next season. After The 100 ends, it will be the longest running of the CW’s current shows. That puts it in just a bit more danger than it should be, but I’d say that it probably isn’t going to end as it is still so popular and they’d probably end a different Arrowverse show before they end this one.

In the Dark- I give this a 25% chance of ending next season. It shouldn’t have gotten renewed for a second season, but it had a good deal that the CW had to keep its promise with in order to keep around for more seasons. Besides, it is unlikely for a lot of third season shows to end, even with one that would have such a low episode count like this one.

Legacies- I give this a 15% chance of ending next season. It is still relatively new and it has to make its mark, however small, on the network before it leaves the airwaves. I can’t imagine that it will end given the limited information that I know and remember about it.

Legends of Tomorrow- I give this a 60% chance of ending next season. While I said at one point that this would be the first of the Arrowverse shows to end, I do think that it is almost to the point where it has more than enough episodes to satisfy the syndication gods who control this. It might last compared to a different Arrowverse show, but might not if they’d pick this instead.

Nancy Drew- I give this a 1% chance of ending next season. I mean, they don’t get rid of sophomores on this network unless it is a summer show, but even then, it would be unlikely in some cases. This would have to be the least likely to end next season simply because of people not wanting to go against the protocol that they often do now on this network.

Riverdale- I give this a 70% chance of ending next season. Maybe they could make this work and last longer with the characters set to graduate, but then they should know that the show would just be a shadow of its former self if it does. They might think that it would be better to just end it sooner rather than later because of waning interest or just to make more room on the schedule.

Roswell, New Mexico- I give this a 13% chance of ending next season. It will probably last longer since it needs more episodes for syndication and it might need a lot of episodes in order for it to work. I would have to say that this isn’t in danger that much right now.

Supergirl- I give this a 75% chance of ending next season. Since Superman and Lois is another show that will be airing sometime next season, two shows focusing on Kryptonians are not what people would want at the same time. If they make the new show a prequel with a timeline not current with the main show, they might be able to get both to last for a while. If not, I imagine this would be a show that will bow out in order to make room for Superman and Lois to start.

Nothing at all- I give this option a 50% chance of happening. I’ll admit that this could be a possibility that none of the shows will be ending next season outside of possible freshman shows which are not covered in this post. It could happen if only because the renewals of the existing shows didn’t come with the announcement of a final season coming along with it. But I’d say that some shows are likely to end, even if they have been here for a while.


That’s about it for this post since I pretty much summed up everything that I thought might be relevant to it. In case you were paying attention, I think that only Legends of Tomorrow, Riverdale, and Supergirl are in danger of ending next season. They wouldn’t get rid of all three and I think that Supergirl is the more likely Arrowverse show to end. What will happen? Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment