Friday, July 12, 2019

A Look Back at my 2018-2019 Cancellation Predictions

As I seek to write posts, you might wonder why I’m writing and publishing them at certain times. Well, I don’t think that it matters as much, as long as it is published when I want it to be. Well, this post will take a look back at the previous cancellation predictions that I made to see what all was right and what all was not. I hope that you like it as I’m not sure that I’ll do this again.

Now I need to make a note about the asterisks that you’ll see in this post. This year, the only time you will see this will mark shows that have not been officially cancelled, but probably will be based on all the info that I have about it thus far that I don’t see as likely to change.

What I got right: The Alec Baldwin Show, Speechless, The Kids are Alright, Whiskey Cavalier, Child Support *, For the People, Splitting Up Together, The Fix, The Big Bang Theory, Happy Together, The Red Line, Fam, The Code, Elementary, Murphy Brown, Life in Pieces, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, iZombie, Jane the Virgin, Ransom, Gotham, The Cool Kids, Rel, Lethal Weapon, Star, Mental Samurai *, The Passage, Proven Innocent, A.P. Bio; Midnight, Texas; I Feel Bad, Abby’s, The Enemy Within

The Alec Baldwin Show: I was thinking that he wouldn’t last on this show since he didn’t do as well with it the last time around. That might have had no reason to do with this show ending. It was more of a bad timeslot and unusual format that caused the end of this. Plus, people having hatred towards him might be another reason this was lowly rated.

Speechless: This probably shouldn’t have been cancelled simply based on episode count. It should have lasted at least one more season and then all the way to syndication. But there were quite some unusual circumstances that brought forth its demise, namely the Disney buyout of FOX. I never saw much of this show so I’ll never know if it was good or not.

The Kids are Alright: Here’s one that probably could have gone either way towards the end of it. We saw it end at the end of the season. I forget why I thought that it might end, but was right about it. In fact, if you don’t count all that I said could get cancelled but wasn’t (which I never count anyways), then I got the most right this season.

Whiskey Cavalier: This was probably only on here due to the bad title rule. I mean, who even watches a show called Whiskey Cavalier? I might have been interested in this at one point, only because of having a dream about having a blog about this show, something that won’t happen now.

Child Support: While this wasn’t cancelled, I’m going to count it as such since there’s no evidence that it is returning for future seasons. This was a game show where kids helped solve things in some way. But I do not think that there’s much else to say about this right now.

For the People: After an illogical renewal, most shows do not last much longer beyond it. At least it got to air with the TGIT shows. While I liked this courtroom drama, I’m not sure that it ever had much that made it different from other shows like it in the end.

Splitting Up Together: A lot of ABC comedies that are young enough could go one way or another. I did think that it could be cancelled and I was right. I might have put too many on one side, but I don’t think that it matters much for sure just yet.

The Fix: I honestly don’t know much about what this show was about or why anyone would have cared about it. And that seems to be what remains in my thinking with that. And this was based off of the very little information that I knew about it going into the season in question.

The Big Bang Theory: While the news of its final season hadn’t been made official yet, I knew that it was a possibility and didn’t want to take the risk of a long running show suddenly ending like what happened with The Middle. Thus, I got the otherwise unexpected prediction right.

Happy Together: I forget if this was on here as I felt that it didn’t look like it would last long or if there was some other reason that I thought it would end. It wasn’t pulled from the schedule, but it didn’t last after its initial episode order.

The Red Line: Maybe this was a short term plan and never would have lasted even if it had done well in the ratings. Whatever the reason, it didn’t last and I knew that it probably wouldn’t based off of what little information I had about it before the season started.

Fam: It still is common nowadays for nearly all of the midseason replacements on CBS to end after just one season with few exceptions to the rule. This was one of them in a long train of shows like it that have and will continue to keep happening over and over again. The show wasn’t good and most shows that have dumb names like this won’t last.

The Code: This is more than likely cancelled by now if it hasn’t been made official already. It could have been a better show, although it wasn’t bad. I’ve never quite understood what the name of this show means. It is still airing the rest of its episodes in case you care to watch them.

Elementary: It wasn’t too hard predicting that the time would soon come for it to end as it probably should not have lasted as long as it did anyways. Thus, it only made sense to include it among the shows that I thought would be cancelled at the end of the season.

Murphy Brown: So many revivals don’t last or shouldn’t seem like they should. This was the first that by no unusual circumstance had ended after just one season back on the air. I don’t think that it got the ratings that would have needed to stay around and even if it did, it didn’t last that long anyways.

Life in Pieces: For some reason, I felt that this show was going to end before the seasons started. I do not remember offhand what brought forth the prediction, but it was probably the unusualness with the late airing of it that they announced before the season started.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: Often shows are easier to predict than others. When a show is announced as going to have its final season in advance of the new one, if you don’t include it in your predictions, then you are just stupid for not knowing what’s already revealed to people.

iZombie: This was another freebie as the CW is often nice with existing shows by giving them orders for final seasons instead of just pulling the plug with it at some point. All of their shows after Hart of Dixie had aired were renewed for a final season before ending.

Jane the Virgin: I don’t know why the CW thought of ending this when they did, but they did. It still got to be too confusing towards the end and I lost track of what happened to Michael. Maybe this show was too crazy to keep track of. Whatever the reason, the CW sought to end it and they did.

Ransom: With this often airing on Saturdays all the time, I figured that it only made sense that it would end at some point in time. I have no idea what role Canada played in this show ending. All I know now is that CBS could have cared more about it in terms of scheduling and maybe it would have lasted longer if they had. Or maybe it still would have ended.

Gotham: This was another show that was announced as going to end before it started airing this season. I have no idea why they chose to end it, but I don’t tend to care or read too much into why these things happen. All I know is that they made a good ending and few shows fail to end well with enough advance warning. Some shows do, but this wasn’t one of them.

The Cool Kids: While this probably shouldn’t have been cancelled based on what seemed likely at the time, all that really makes sense is that it was cancelled like I thought it would be. It wasn’t that bad of a show, even if I never saw it a second time. But it was of lesser quality than I would like.

Rel: I tried to watch this only once and didn’t come back after it first went to commercial. I don’t know what about it was so off putting. Was it the live studio audience sounding dumb, always laughing at the horrible material in this show? Maybe. Whatever it was, I never tried to watch it much.

Lethal Weapon: There were too many changes with it going into the season that continued throughout the season so cancellation seemed more like a merciful act to some. I never saw an episode of the show in question so I don’t know what it was like or how it changed from season to season.

Star: This is another cancellation that seemed illogical towards the end. But I got it right and might have only had it on the list due to not likely it. It isn’t often that I do that. I don’t even know why I watched the show once, although I’m sure I had a reason before it started. FOX pulled the plug and I couldn’t care less about whether or not it lasted.

Mental Samurai: While this wasn’t cancelled officially, it isn’t on the schedule for next season and can only be over as a result. I really should do a list of shows like that on the internet movie database at some point in time. This game show didn’t offer much different about it in my mind, but at least there were some people who won money on it.

The Passage: Going through its airing on TV, it probably should have lasted for a while. But it didn’t and one might not have been able to figure that out until the series was done airing. FOX had to put the dumb thing called wrestling on TV on Fridays and this was one of the causalities as a result.

Proven Innocent: Never a ratings hit, I’m glad that this aired until the end and had a relatively good way of ending things. Some parts of it could have been better, but I won’t complain in the long run. All that I know is that Fridays are often poison to new and even existing shows. But now FOX gave up with them and will just air the WWE then.

A.P. Bio: This show was terrible based on promos and it was shocking to many that it even got a second season. But it is over now since they actually had the sense to get rid of it this time around. I’m surprised that some shows that look this bad actually make it past the pilot stage to series.

Midnight, Texas: What’s weird is that this show, not even in its first season, was the first show out of all of them to be cancelled officially this new season pretty close to the end of the year after it had finished airing. The second season aired over a year after the first season and people might not have known that this was on before or on again. Whatever the reason, there were a lot of reasons why this failed and they were all easy to predict. Do I always list all the reasons in previous posts?

I Feel Bad: Note to showrunners everywhere: give your shows good names. Otherwise, people will not want to tune in and watch it. All that I know really is that based on nothing outside of that, I predicted that this would be cancelled and have no idea what type of show it might be like.

Abby’s: I don’t know if much else factored into my decision to predict it as cancelled other than a lame name in my mind being used as a title. Whatever the reason, which might not have even been that, the show didn’t last as a result and I’m not sure that I even know what this was about.

The Enemy Within: This actually had a lot going for it in terms of premise, even flipping some of what you would expect in some places. But it didn’t last and there’s not much else to say about why I might have thought it would be cancelled. It could have been better in the end than it was.

What I got wrong: The Village, The Gifted, fate unknown: Dancing with the Stars Junior, still could be cancelled: Grand Hotel, Blood and Treasure, Instinct, Cosmos: Possible Worlds, Spin the Wheel, The InBetween, The Titan Games

The Village: For some reason, I thought that this would last and I was wrong. I never got it out of promos and wasn’t really interested in it. What people might not realize is that a good promo could make me into a show that I might not have had interest in previously. People didn’t watch this and it was over. Yet I thought that it would be safe for some reason.

The Gifted: Ratings wise, I’ll never know what great hit could wind up with a sophomore slump in terms of ratings. This, after a highly rated first season, people didn’t really care as much about it when it came back a second time. I thought it would last, but I was wrong.


That’s about it for this post. I don’t know if I’ll do cancellation predictions this year or ever again. I do like writing the post, but think that I should discontinue it due to lack of interest based on the low view count that last post was said to have. If you’re reading this and want me to do it again, then let me know so I’ll write it again. Otherwise, I don’t think that I’ll do it again, as much as I like doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment