Saturday, October 20, 2018

Crossovers and How They Work

Once a phenomenon so rarely used that it seemed reserved only for fan fiction stories, the crossover is becoming increasingly popular and used a whole lot in this modern world of television. What all will we see with it in the future? Well, here’s a post about them.

Before I get any further, I might as well specify something: backdoor pilots do not count as crossovers in my mind. While they do set up people and characters seen in another show, they aren’t actual events where the characters would see people from other shows that were already established.

Some of the earlier examples of crossovers was when Popeye appeared in a Betty Bop cartoon. This works due to the Fletcher brothers owning both works at the time. There weren’t a lot of other really early examples like in the TV world nowadays.

There are some more modern examples of different shows working together. This happens so much that you kind of have to split the two types of crossovers into minor ones where people appear in more of a cameo role, and major ones where you see a lot more people together in groups. You especially see this a lot with Arrowverse. In fact, it could be argued that Legends of Tomorrow is the first true crossover TV show that we’ve ever seen.


I couldn’t think of much to put in this post. There wasn’t much for me to ramble on about this time around when writing this. Sorry if you think that this is too short of a post. I can’t always do it as well as I would like. Until next time, I’ll be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment