Monday, July 16, 2018

A Look Back at my 2017-2018 Cancellation Predictions

I am so behind on all the posts that I need to write that you might have been wondering where some of the usual summer posts are. Well, I haven’t had as much time for writing this blog that I’ve spent writing this blog like I’m supposed to. I need to do research some times for it and that is why a lot of these have not been done yet. All of them probably will be at some point. Otherwise, sorry for any of the posts that you like reading but aren’t getting.

Before I get going with this post any further, I might as well get to what some of the asterisks in this post mean. I will then look back on my predictions of what would be cancelled last season. First note that if it has one asterisk, that means it is unofficially cancelled. Two asterisks means that it is switching networks due to being cancelled. It isn’t over as it is moving to another network even if one cancelled it first. Here is a good way to note it: unofficially cancelled *, switching networks **. Know that what I mention later as fate unknown is probably unofficially cancelled.

What I got right: Scandal, Wisdom of the Crowd, Ten Days in the Valley, Ghosted, Kevin (Probably) Saves the World, Law and Order: True Crime *, The Mayor, Once Upon a Time, Inhumans, Deception, Alex Inc., The Crossing, The Toy Box *, Roseanne, Quantico, Kevin Can Wait; Me, Myself, and I; 9JKL, Code Black, Living Biblically, Superior Donuts, Scorpion, Life Sentence, The Originals, New Girl, Lucifer **, The Mick, The Exorcist, LA to Vegas, The Brave, Great News, Taken, Timeless, Champions, Rise, Trial and Error

Scandal: This was a freebie. I was guaranteed to get it right since they announced it was airing its final season before the season started. If I ever get a freebie wrong, then there is something wrong with me as I must not have been paying attention.

Wisdom of the Crowd: There might not have been much wrong with the show in terms of quality, but there were other issues with it and it seems that at least one Sunday show has to get cancelled on every network each season.

Ten Days in the Valley: Here’s a show that was probably a short term plan anyways. Unless I’m mistaken, this was going to air earlier and got delayed. Then it was pulled from the schedule, but at least they were nice and aired all of the episodes and released the show to DVD.

Ghosted: Often, you will know when a network hates a show. For instance, if they pulled it suddenly from the schedule and don’t announce a return date until it randomly comes back for the summer, then you know that it is probably dead. And it seems appropriate that they ghosted the show since that is its name after all.

Kevin (Probably) Saves the World: So many shows seem to do a Christian angle and they all seem to fail. The only one I can think of that lasted a while was 7th Heaven. Even if they try to get it right, they often fail at garnering viewers. And they screwed a lot with this show’s airing which cemented its status as dead well into its season.

Law and Order: True Crime: While I get annoyed at my region for having reception problems for NBC and even more annoyed that the NBC website often fails, I should be glad that it happened when it did or I might have got sucked into a really stupid show. I only watched one episode online around the time that my laptop was failing and I wouldn’t have been able to watch it if it wasn’t. I only watched this for a different blog of mine. Meanwhile, it wasn’t actually cancelled, but it might as well have been since I just don’t see it coming back any time soon.

The Mayor: This show looked terrible and nobody really watched it. I’m not sure if all of it aired in the end. I guess people figured that if they wanted to see a person who shouldn’t have won an office that they are now stuck with for a while, they could watch the news and see what Trump is up to. *sips tea* They might have tried to make the lead more endearing, but it just didn’t work.

Once Upon a Time: With so many changes going into it for the next season, you do have to wonder if it should have just ended a season sooner so as to not have so much of the cast lost going into it.  Maybe that is why people stopped watching or maybe them putting it on Fridays was the death sentence. All I know is that I’m glad they had the decency to tell us midway through that it was ending this season and was glad that they gave us a great ending.

Inhumans: I might never understand why so many people hated this show. I just hope that they didn’t waste their time watching it, but not a lot of people did spend their time with it. After all of the negative reception and low viewership, it was one of the least surprising cancellations of the season.

Deception: While I might have watched this if it aired at a different time originally, I ultimately never saw it. I didn’t know anything about it going into the season, but figured that it wouldn’t last due to its title. After airing on a dreaded Sunday night slot on ABC where no show wants to be, it was cancelled due to low ratings. I don’t know if it would have lasted in another slot, but since ABC messed up so much of Sunday this season, I’d have to say that it might have under different circumstances.

Alex Inc.: This is another example of the bad title rule in use. It is hard to tell without watching if a show with a bad title will wind up cancelled at the end of its season or not, it more than likely is. I never saw the show so I don’t know if it is as bad as its title or not. Maybe the title isn’t bad.

The Crossing: I liked the promos for this show and watched it as a result. While the show was good in some places, it wasn’t in others. Whatever the reason, people didn’t watch this and it was cancelled, getting such bad treatment that the last two episodes aired on a Saturday.

The Toy Box: While there may be a chance that this show comes back, since it was linked with Toys R Us and that retailer is going out of business, this show is as good as dead. I am writing it off as cancelled as a result since it doesn’t seem like it will be coming back in the future.

Roseanne: If only the star of this show were smarter on twitter, then this would be staying around. It got such great ratings that they decided to sort of keep the show alive in the form of a spin-off focusing on some of the characters with it. I only had it on here because revivals and reboots don’t tend to do well. So much weirdness happened with it, it is hard to keep track of everything.

Quantico: When a show gets an illogical renewal, then it is likely not to stick around much longer. It is still airing the rest of its episodes as of this post. If things had gone better for it, then a cancellation in its third season wouldn’t make sense. But it didn’t have enough episodes going into it. And I don’t know what went wrong with its final season, but too much changed.

Kevin Can Wait: Honestly, this probably should have lasted given its good enough ratings and not much being against it. But there was enough fan outrage over unnecessary cast changes and too much of the show was different in its second season.

Me, Myself, and I: Maybe it failed because it was a single camera comedy on CBS and only Life in Pieces has lasted a long time on that network without having a live studio audience laughing at the antics of what was going on. And while I did like the show, it wasn’t really that funny in the end. Shows that use a different type of concept tend not to last anyways.

9JKL: The more I think about it, the more I think that this was just a rip-off of Everybody Loves Raymond. It wasn’t that good a show so I didn’t watch it as much as I could have. This makes me question what real life scenarios I could turn into sitcoms as they might not last.

Code Black: CBS never cared that much about this show or it would have gotten a full season order on any of its seasons. While only its first season renewal seemed illogical, it was never good betting on its future which makes me wonder why the TV Grim Reaper ignored his own advice and thought that it would last before it even started airing.

Living Biblically- This show could have worked, but it didn’t. It ultimately seemed like a strange man trying to live a better life but failing at providing good entertainment. I had it under here by the original name of By the Book. It didn’t keep its name nor did it last.

Superior Donuts: Here’s another illogical cancellation. The only reason why it seems like it might have been cancelled to me is because CBS wanted it air dramas in place of its many comedy times. I never liked the show even if others did and it might have tackled serious issues at times.

Scorpion: I don’t get why it was cancelled or why the writers had to give us such a terrible ending that I would have hated even if they show had continued. You see, it became clear as things went along that CBS cared less about it since they weren’t showing it on reruns anymore. It is always telling what they won’t air in repeats. It goes against a lot of their own habits not to renew it based on what they have done before with other shows in the past. Now I hate this show, even if I might write a fan fiction to resolve the storyline if only due to it having a flimsy connection to the NCIS franchise.

Life Sentence: The CW network is getting to be more and more predictable as time comes by. If they ever air two shows at midseason, when one starts airing, you’ll know the other will get cancelled. This is another in a long time of shows that started airing later than it should have and was ultimately dead on arrival as a result.

The Originals: It might have only gotten another season last year because The Vampire Diaries, the show it span-off of, was cancelled and I have yet to know of a case where a show and its spin-off end in the same season. I knew that it would be pretty much dead then as a result the next season and I was right, although it will sort of continue in the form of a spin-off.

New Girl: Here’s another freebie. It was FOX’s longest running live action drama, which can make one wonder why it got such a short send off. But if CSI proves anything, it’s that even shows that last long will not always get a good final season in terms of episode numbers.

Lucifer: I can’t tell for sure if this should have lasted longer on FOX or not. But Netflix is picking it up for another season so now it will probably last until syndication, possibly. It is hard to tell for sure. I don’t know why people liked this show which is more or less the only reason it was on here.

The Mick: While I’ve never seen an episode of this, I still despise the show as it is so stupid a plot and it makes you wonder why shit like this is made when so many other things don’t see the light of day. And yet, it still seems like this show was illogically cancelled in the end. But hey, I’ll take it as right even if it was just a hate vote that put it on my list.

The Exorcist: This never should have gotten a second season and the ratings the second time around were just as disastrous as the first time. It makes me wonder why they waited so long to cancel it, but I guess that it wasn’t given any real false hope among its fans.

LA to Vegas: I don’t know if this is another illogical cancellation or not. I might have watched this if only because I had a dream about it once. But it looked mostly dumb and I doubt that I missed anything good by not seeing it. Knowing nothing about it in advance, I don’t know why it was in my predictions. But I guess that it was the bad title rule if nothing else.

The Brave: While I wanted to watch it at one point, by the time I finally could have, it seemed like it was more and more likely to end than stick around. The prediction was right. I don’t know if it was any good or why it didn’t last, but I figured that a show with its timeslot was doomed to fail and I was right.

Great News: I had a chance to watch this once, but decided not to. I don’t know if it was any good or not. While it wasn’t an illogical renewal last season for sure since it premiered so late, it didn’t get that good treatment the second time around and ended as a result.

Taken: First it was supposed to air during the fall, but never did. Then it got pushed up earlier in the schedule with little to no warning for two weeks in a row, making people more likely to miss it. Then, despite it being a second season show which often isn’t subject to such grim treatment like the first season shows that don’t last are, it was pulled from the schedule then burned off on Saturdays. All I know is that it shouldn’t have gotten renewed last season and should have gotten better treatment for this season.

Timeless: It was never going to last. It was over after the first season before they decided to bring it back after Sony gave them a lot of money while fans falsely think they brought it back with a fan campaign. Then it was over again and is likely to stay that way.

Champions: All I know is that it was either the lowest rated of the new NBC sitcoms or it was the second lowest rated of the new NBC sitcoms. I never saw it and only had it on here due to its bad title. I have no idea what it was about so I can only guess that it didn’t last due to lack of exposure.

Rise: Most musical themed shows won’t last and this was one of them proving that rule. It might have been something that I would have watched if it premiered just a bit later or didn’t air when it did. So whether it was good or not, I’ll never know for sure.

Trial and Error: I guess that the fate of whether or not this show would last was subject to some trial and error itself. This is one of many shows that I would have cared about if things had gone differently at one point or another. It shouldn’t have been renewed and was cancelled this season as a result.

What I got wrong: The Middle, Valor, Brooklyn Nine-Nine **, The Last Man on Earth, Shades of Blue, Fate unknown: The Bachelor Winter Games, Undercover Boss, The X-Files, Still could be: Reverie, The Awesome Show, Making It

Just a note before going on that I will not be doing any thoughts on the shows whose fate are unknown or could still be cancelled in the future. Just know that Making It was originally called The Handmade Project and any show marked fate unknown is more than likely cancelled or taking an extended break from airing on television. Still could be shows started or will start during the summer, thus leaving their fate unknown for a while.

The Middle: You’ll never know when a long running show will decide to end. It is hard to guess things like that in the future. And that is why I got this wrong by thinking that it would be safe. There is nothing notable to say here except that it was tied with Modern Family for being the longest running sitcom on ABC and now after nine years, Modern Family can claim that title all its own.

Valor: It is always risky thinking that a new show will be safe. I thought that it being military themed would mean that it would last, but it being on the CW during the fall might mean that it shouldn’t have been on my list of safe choices considering what happened last season. Oh well. You live and learn.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine: It’s funny that the longest running FOX live action comedy for a brief time after New Girl ended will now be on NBC and has lasted longer than Superstore, the longest running NBC sitcom. It is hard to say whether or not all of the changes make sense. But I didn’t think that FOX would cancel it. Even if it is lasting longer on NBC, it was technically cancelled, so I got it wrong by saying that it was safe even if it isn’t really going anywhere.

The Last Man on Earth: I don’t know why FOX decided to purge itself of all of its remaining live action single camera sitcoms in favor of all muti-camera sitcoms since the last one they aired, I Hate My Teenage Daughter, bombed terrible. There hasn’t been a successful muti-camera sitcom on FOX since That 70’s Show was on the air. This was an illogical cancellation, I’m pretty sure. At least there are a lot of people left on earth in the end.

Shades of Blue: The longer a show goes without a return date, the more likely it is to get cancelled. If I had done my fantasy schedule before its fate was cemented, I would have known that it was going to get cancelled this time around. I didn’t know the shabby treatment it would get. It’s a third season show for Pete’s sake! But it did end or will sometime soon in the future.


I have the feeling that I did a lot of this post differently than I have in previous seasons. I guess we will see for sure what people think of this. Know that while Mondays are a day of the week that could turn into weekly posts instead of Saturdays, this will not be the start of them this time around as I’m using a cheat to update this blog instead of rolling for a Survivor episode. I hope to have Sunday posts in the future, but I don’t know if they will happen when I want them to. It’s possible that the cheats that I use to update this blog will return to a different blog again. You’ll know if a regular post is missing if this did end up happening or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment