Saturday, June 23, 2018

Expectations of the Charmed Reboot

Since the original Charmed show that I was a fan of is being rebooted, I thought that I would say what I would want from a reboot of it. I might go through a rundown of what I liked of the original series and where I could see things improved in a reboot.

The main things that you need to know about Charmed is that it is a grown up version of the magical girls genre where a group of women have magical powers and use them to fight against all sorts of evil with it. It was an adult version as it had a lot of sex and violence that you wouldn’t see in kid’s shows. The recurring plot was the main draw for me as I kept wanting to come back to see what would happen to the characters in the next episode.

One of the problems that could happen in a female centric show is that the villains tend to always be men or a group of men. Now, while men are often villains in fiction and generally in real life, it can come off as seeming mean towards them in a way. While I plan to do a post in the future about whether or not it would be good in terms of gender equality to have female villains, I won’t talk about that here. What I do know is that the only recurring female villains in Charmed either lasted very briefly or were second fiddle to the greater, male villains. Isn’t that a problem?

It wasn’t that often that one was surprised by the original Charmed. It had great writing at times, but it seemed that they never kept the audience in dark about anything. The only real secret that they kept was Chris’s identity for most of the sixth season. Something I would like to see in the Charmed reboot is them being less open to the audience about things so that there can be some real shocks and we aren’t just relearning things when the characters do.

Another change that I hope takes place is that there should be a whole lot less sex than there was in the original series. I would to see strong and independent women and them constantly having sex is just not something that would be ideal in my mind. I’d be fine with them having romantic partners. But if it is just one sexual conquest after another, that would just be another problem with it in my mind.


It is hard to tell for sure what to know from the upcoming show in advance of its airing. But I hope that they go with some of the suggestions here if they can. The show had interesting plots and the elements that would recur in it would be nice at times. We’ll see if any of the old elements will be brought back. I hope that the show is good and if it isn’t, then I won’t watch any further.

No comments:

Post a Comment