Saturday, March 10, 2018

Christmas Commercials 2017

Sometimes I don’t know for sure what counts as a Christmas commercial for sure until the more real ones start. Some might have counted, but I don’t think that they really did. But maybe it is good that these didn’t as it would have been in September. This hasn’t happened since 2013. Why would I say they aren’t if they might have been? Well, I just figured that enough in them refuted it being one even if they mentioned holidays or Christmas in it. I swear that one of them combined Christmas and Halloween. Why would that happen? I don’t know.

There will be a bit of something different this year that you might not see in other years. Now there are two different times that I stop keeping track of Christmas commercials. One potential date would be when Advent starts. The other would be when December begins. Typically, Advent starts first. But this year, Advent will not start the Sunday after Thanksgiving meaning that December first will happen first. This means that you could get a lot more commercials in the count than usual. It will also affect what you see in the notes for this year and any others like it.

Another thing to note is a commercial that I counted where it mentions the iphone season spirit. It was a Sprint commercial. While it probably isn’t a Christmas commercial, I was too confused about it when it first aired that I have it among those counted on this list which is why the count might be higher than it otherwise would be. There might have been others like it. I’m also sure that I had inconsistencies with different commercials as I counted some sometimes but not others. I wasn’t sure if some should count and had no way of knowing whether or not I knew the number to change and reduce them. I hope that makes sense to someone.

In 2012, the official count of Christmas commercials before October was 0. The official count before Halloween was 27. The official count before the Sunday after Thanksgiving was 200. In 2013, the official count of Christmas commercials before October was 5. The official count before Halloween was 30. The official count before the Sunday after Thanksgiving was 600. In 2014, the official count of Christmas commercials before October was 3. The official count before Halloween was 26. The official count before the Sunday after Thanksgiving was 700. In 2015, the official count of Christmas commercials before October was 0. The official count before Halloween was 13. The official count before the Sunday after Thanksgiving was 530. In 2016, the official count of Christmas commercials before October was 0. The official count before Halloween was 45. In 2016, the official count before the Sunday after Thanksgiving was 386.

Christmas overrun for 2014-2015 is 28 commercials. Christmas overrun for 2015-2016 is 14 commercials. Christmas overrun for 2016-2017 is 55 commercials. Christmas overrun means that after Christmas and in a bit of January, you will see Christmas commercials of some type. I’m keeping track of them, although they will always be separate from the main list.

In 2017, the official count of Christmas commercials before October was 0. The official count before Halloween was 78. The official count before December started was 767. I hope that these numbers are right, but there can be issues with reporting the numbers as I’ve started before.

Christmas overrun for 2017-2018 is 39 commercials. I’ll never know for sure if I stop counting these too soon but the moment Christmas is over, I’ll start counting these from December 26th to whenever they stop sometimes the next year. They are mostly counted separately because they always deal with two different years in the end.


Well, that’s it for this blog post. I’m glad that I was able to publish this as soon as I am this year. There was a year where I was caught up enough, but delayed this in favor of other posts that I felt were more time sensitive. Last year’s was late because I wasn’t caught up on shows that I watched with another person. This year, I’m better and catching up on all the shows so here’s the count.

No comments:

Post a Comment