Friday, March 16, 2018

A Brief Thought on a Recurring Oscars Problem

There have been three years in a row now where I’ve noticed a problem that happens with the Oscars are on. I feel that it is a big enough problem to have its own post in this blog. Why? It affects TV. And you may notice that when I do my post on what I thought was the good of TV that I do an award called the dearly departed award which I give to a notable person who passed away.

What’s the problem? If you remember the death of Joan Rivers, you’d remember that the Oscars got flak for not including her in the in memoriam segment. Now the problem seems to affect tons of stars known for television and not movies. Just look back at the Silver Globe Award nominees that I did this year. Not one of the people that I mentioned was in the Oscars in memoriam segment. Is this really fair to these people?

Of course, you may criticize me for not including notable movie stars in my dearly departed award. I feel that since the awards relate to TV only, they shouldn’t have to have notable movie stars with them. But you might wonder if the Oscars should use the same reasoning. I disagree. One reason is that my awards aren’t really real. Another relates to the Emmys.

You see, the Emmys always include tons of notable people who died regardless of their status as a TV star, movie star, music star, Broadway star, sports star, or anything like that. If the Emmys don’t exclude the movie stars like the Oscars do to TV stars, then should the Oscars still keep excluding those notable people? It doesn’t seem to work or make sense in my mind. People are only going to get more upset and mad over the events. Joan Rivers will just be the tip of the iceberg.


There is no reason why the Oscars should keep leaving out the TV stars in their in memoriam segment. The Emmys don’t leave out movie stars in their in memoriam segment. Surely this can’t be some sort of oversight on behalf of whoever does this. Surely they would know that they aren’t including these people and using their status as TV stars as an excuse. Otherwise, why would they keep doing this? How could they not know that all these important people died? They give tons of obscure people a segment in their memory dedication. Why not notable people who worked on TV?

No comments:

Post a Comment