Friday, July 3, 2020

Ownership on TV

What seems weird to me, even knowing what it is, regards the fact that when you see a show on any of the major networks, the network might not own that show. Doesn’t that seem weird? I’ve never quite understood it at all. Why does it happen?

One of the best examples I can think of regarding this is The Big Bang Theory. It was a WB show. But it aired on CBS. Why wouldn’t CBS air a sitcom it produces on its own network? Well, it does from time to time, but often airs shows produced by other production companies and thus doesn’t own its own product in the end. Like I said, this doesn’t make sense to me, yet happens all the time.

What can often benefit a show on a network is if the network does own it. This makes it more likely to last until the end of the episodes it made, even if the show winds up cancelled before the end. This does not always happen with shows, but often does now. It might not be until later, but the network will air the show at some point or at least put it online. This also puts shows that aren’t own by their own network at a disadvantage, especially if they are cancelled in their first season.

Of course, this can lead to an edge with another network should your current network no longer want you around. Last Man Standing would not have returned in the future were it not for the fact that FOX produced it and wanted more of that awful show for some dumb reason. Meanwhile, Brooklyn Nine-Nine was almost immediately picked up by NBC after FOX axed it.


What else is there to say? I’m hoping that someone who understands this phenomenon more than I do can comment on this post and explain it to me. I find it strange, but it probably makes more sense in the end than it otherwise could.

No comments:

Post a Comment