Saturday, February 3, 2018

Mondays in Primetime Version 5

Mondays are a day that I’ve had mixed feelings about at times, but they tend to have good shows a lot of the time now. NBC shows a lot of different things over time. ABC airs Dancing with the Stars in the spring and fall, The Bachelor in the winter, and The Bachelorette during the summer. It airs other things throughout the year. The Good Doctor is the current end of their schedule. CBS shows various comedies right now at this time before ending with Scorpion. FOX is currently airing The Resident and Lucifer. The CW airs Supergirl.

Kevin Can Wait: Status- Currently on CBS at 8/7 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- I almost always watch a CBS show at least once. Description- It seems to be about a man who just retired, or wanted to, at least, but it could be about any number of things that could evolve over time. Notable People- Kevin James, who was on King of Queens before starring in many movies, is the main character of this show. Gary Valentine, also from King of Queens, is another character. Leah Remini, also a former star of King of Queens in addition to once co-hosting The Talk, is yet another character. Pros- It isn’t bad. Enough about it is quality entertainment. It is funny a lot of the time. You know what to expect. Cons- A lot of the plots are weaker than they should be. There are too many people in the cast. It can be rather dumb at times. It might have been better starting out. Note to Parents- Considering all the smut that you might be used to, this is actually much more acceptable for most ages. Recommendation- I’d put this at a toss-up myself. You may like it and if you don’t, it’s not like there’s that much of a long story that people care about. My Viewing Habits- I might have missed some episodes here and there, but I have more or less watched this from the very beginning. Prediction- It could last longer and I think that it will last until next season at least. Reception: generally negative. Grade: B-.

Lucifer: Status- This show is on FOX at 8/7 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- Promise to watch one midseason show from each network and the thought that it might be interesting. Noteworthiness- This is adapted from a comic book. Description- For some odd reason, the devil, known as Lucifer, decides to help people solve crimes, although that is based on just my limited perspective on the show. Pros- The show is different than the usual show. It can also be kind of interesting. Cons- It is hard to tell entirely what this show is about. It seems kind of dumb and lame. Note to Parents- This is probably safe for teenagers, but not much younger. I can’t give good advice to parents having not seen most episodes. Just know that it doesn’t glorify Satan because it makes him seem rather lame. Recommendation- I wouldn’t watch it. My Viewing Habits- I only watched this once and have no interest in seeing it again. Prediction- It will probably keep lasting for now. Reception: mixed to positive. Grade: D.

Supergirl: Status- Currently on the CW at 8/7 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- I thought that it looked good and I watch every show on CBS at least once, which is the network it used to air on before it switched. Noteworthiness- This is adapted from DC comics. It has links to the same world as The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Arrow. It was on CBS for the first season before moving to the CW for the future where it is likely to stay. Description- Superman’s cousin, who is female, becomes a superhero herself fighting various alien outlaws and other supernatural creatures. Pros- This show is quite good and interesting, seeing a previously unknown superhero (to me, at least) get her own story. Cons- There could be potential flaws with being politically correct. Some of the subplots can seem like a waste. Note to Parents- From what I’ve seen thus far, this show is pretty acceptable to a younger audience, although there still might be more violence than they would need. There is also a gay main character, if that affects anything in your mind. Recommendation- I think that this is a good show and worth watching. My Viewing Habits- I might have seen every episode thus far or close enough to it if I haven’t seen every one. Prediction- It has good ratings and is part of a large, connected universe so it would probably last a good while. Reception: highly positive. Grade: A-.

Man with a Plan: Status- Currently on CBS at 8:30/7:30 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- This is the usual courtesy watch that I give most CBS shows. Description- A man’s wife goes back to work leaving him to take over more as a househusband. Notable People- Matt LeBlanc, who was in Friends, is the main character on this show. Pros- It seems to be a bit different than a lot of other shows based on the main gender switch in the plot. Cons- This show was overall dull and pointless. There wasn’t too it in terms of quality. Note to Parents- I’m not sure what I can tell you based on just one episode, except that there was a lot of language, although nothing that had to be censored. Recommendation- I wouldn’t watch this because it was too dumb in my mind. My Viewing Habits- I saw the first episode and won’t be watching this again. Prediction- It might be staying around for a while at least. Reception: generally negative. Grade: D.

Superior Donuts: Status- Currently on CBS at 9/8 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- As usual, it was because this is on CBS. Noteworthiness- This is based on a play of the same name. Description- This is a comedy show about people in a donut shop. Notable People- This show features Katey Sagel from Married… with Children, 8 Simple Rules, Futurama, A to Z, and Sons of Anarchy. Pros- This might be liked by fans of 2 Broke Girls. Cons- The show was really lame and uncreative. It didn’t really offer much. Note to Parents- I don’t think there’s much to worry about this except for possibly offensive stereotypes. Recommendation- Don’t watch this. My Viewing Habits- I saw this once and won’t be seeing it a second time. Prediction- It seems like it might last for now. Reception: mixed. Grade: D.

The Resident: Status- Currently on FOX at 9/8 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- I watched this for my Good Wife blog and to fulfill my promise to watch a midseason replacement on FOX this season. Description- This is a medical drama that features different doctors, some new, and there are various problems at the hospital at times. It seems a rather complicated plot that is hard to sum up easily. It should make more sense as it goes along. Notable People- This has Matt Czuchry who used to star in The Good Wife and Gilmore girls. It also has Emily VanCamp who starred on Brothers and Sisters as well as Revenge. Pros- It points out the flaws that can happen in a hospital, but does it in a good way. It can seem more humanizing than most medical dramas that I’ve seen in the past. Cons- It seems similar to House. The lead can be strange and arrogant. Note to Parents- It airs with a content adversary warning in some episodes so that’s all you really need to know about it. Recommendation- I’d say that this is good to stay into if you want to. My Viewing Habits- I plan to watch this until the very end. Whether I’ll be able to see every episode or not remains to be seen. Prediction- It is hard to tell for sure this early, but I think that it might last a bit for now. Reception: mixed. Grade: B. New review

Better Late Than Never: Status- Currently on NBC at 9/8 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- I thought that it might be interesting. Noteworthiness- This might have more unusual airing time for a network show. It is also adapted from a foreign show. Description- A reality show, it has four older men and one younger “sidekick” visiting foreign countries as part of a bucket list journey. Notable People- This has William Shatner, most notable for his role on Star Trek. It also has Henry Winkler, most well known for role on Happy Days. Pros- The show is informative about different countries. Cons- The format is overall pretty strange. Note to Parents- What’s I’ve seen of this is pretty acceptable for kids to watch. There might be some things that aren’t okay, but probably not too much. Recommendation- I think that most people would like it. My viewing habits- I watch this when it works out, but don’t care that much if I miss it or not. Prediction- This probably won’t last and even if it does, it might just be to cover weird times in the schedule. Reception: good. Grade: C+. New review

9JKL: Status- Currently on CBS at 9:30/8:30 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- I watch a CBS show at least once most of the time. Noteworthiness- The main star of this based this off of his own life in a way. He and his wife created this show together. Description- A man lives in an apartment building right next to other family members of his leading to wild antics as usual. Notable People- This stars Liza Lapira who starred in NCIS, Dollhouse, Traffic Light, Super Fun Night, Don’t Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23, Battle Creek, and Cooper Barrett’s Guide to Surviving Life, among other things. Pros- One would know what to expect from a show like this. Cons- This has about all the bad stuff that you would typically find in a sitcom like amoral characters. The writing and acting could use some work. The side characters can be dumb. Note to Parents- This has what you might expect in terms of what is and isn’t acceptable for kids to watch. Recommendation- I’d put this at a toss-up. I watch it, but I wouldn’t be upset if I missed it. My Viewing Habits- I’ve missed some of this due to not caring as much about it as I could. But I do tend to watch it whenever I can. Prediction- I don’t think that this will last much longer. Reception: generally unfavorable. Grade: C. New review

Scorpion: Status- It is currently on CBS at 10/9 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- I thought that I might like it. Noteworthiness- This is inspired by the real life of Walter O’Brian. How much of it is fictionalized is unknown, but guessed to be a lot. Description- This show is about Walter O’Brian and a team of geniuses that he leads. Notable People- Robert Patrick from the Unit is on this show. Pros- It’s a pretty interesting drama and it not being the typical drama makes it better. Cons- The show has a predictable format. It can be overdramatized. Some of it is hard to believe. Note to Parents- This probably isn’t full of objectionable material that you’d typically see in a primetime drama. Sex is usually not present and violence in it is typically at a minimum. Recommendation- I like it and suggest that other people watch it. My Viewing Habits- I’m not sure if I’ve seen all of this, but I have been watching this since its first episode. Prediction- I think that this show will last a while still, although there are now some warning signs about its long term chances. Reception: mixed. Grade: A.


The Good Doctor: Status- Currently on ABC at 10/9 Central on Mondays. Why I’ve seen it- It looked like a pretty good show to me. Noteworthiness- This is an adaptation of a South Korean show. Description- A young doctor with autism starts working with other doctors and has to overcome stigma. Notable People- Hill Harper, from CSI: New York, stars on this show as well. David Shore, the creator of House, is also the creator of this show as well. Pros- This is wonderful with well written characters, plots, and overall believable medical situations. Cons- Not all the characters are nice people. I know that happens a lot and it can be needed at times, but it can still be a problem. Note to Parents- This is mostly acceptable for kids, but there are some problems with it in terms of what age can watch. I’d say that pre-teens and older should be good with this. Recommendation- I think that everyone should watch this. My Viewing Habits- I don’t know if I’ve seen every episode, but I’ll watch this as much as I can over the course of time. Prediction- This is getting good ratings for now so it will stay for as long as that lasts. Reception: mixed to positive. Grade: A+. New review

No comments:

Post a Comment