Saturday, March 18, 2017

New Midseason Shows: 2017 Part 2

Here’s part 2 of my reviews of new midseason shows. I don’t know yet if I will split this into three parts or not. I probably won’t, but I’m honestly not sure as I can never be too sure of what is going on even with my own blog. I’m posting this every Saturday for now, but I’m not sure when/if that will change to some other time. I will probably split the review if there is a cancellation among the shows that I’ve seen. So, let’s get to the next set of reviews. While there might be one other show that I might be interested in later, I might not review it yet.

Once again, I forgot to mention some of what shows replaced what other shows at midseason. Hunted seems to be a placeholder for Survivor. Riverdale replaces the likely cancelled No Tomorrow. Now I should be able to remember the other shows that I keep track of here. If you don’t see it mentioned, then I probably don’t care about it that much. I would keep track of the returning shows at midseason that replace the other shows, but that would get too complicated, so I won’t.

Time after Time: Show Description- H. G. Wells follows Jack the Ripper from the past into the present with his time machine and he works to prevent future murders and fix what has changed with time while working with various people. Behind the Scenes- I’m not sure what to add here except that I think that the plot for the show is original even though it uses real people as characters. My Thoughts- This show is gripping, intriguing, and just keeps getting better. I’m not sure if there are flaws with it outside of the typical time travel laws that can cause headaches. It goes in unexpected places and seems to have various plots to keep you interested in it. I give it five out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- Sadly, this is not likely to last considering how low the ratings are for it. I hate it when that happens. Where to Find- On ABC at 9/8 Central on Sundays

Training Day: Show Description- A dirty cop teams up with a rookie and both try to train the other one: the veteran to teach the new person and the good cop to teach the bad cop how to be good. This replaces the unofficially cancelled Pure Genius. Behind the Scenes- This is based off of a movie of the same name. I wonder why CBS does that so much. The late Bill Paxton is in this and will appear in all the episodes this season. This could mean that they air all of the episodes in tribute to him. My Thoughts- Before this show’s first commercial break, I knew that I would not be watching it a second time. This show is bad with little to no redeeming value. The dirty cop is such a horrible character that I can’t get behind the idea of him in this show. While I did watch the whole first episode, I won’t be watching a second one. I give it two out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- Unless the ratings pick up, this will be the third thing in around a year’s time to fail at this timeslot. The death of its lead star certainly won’t help with a potential second season and makes me think that it will be more likely to be cancelled now as a result. They are moving this to Saturdays after March Madness so that means that this is practically cancelled, even if they aren’t immediately owning it. Guess we’ll have to wait until May. Where to Find- On CBS at 9/8 Central on Saturdays

Powerless: Show Description- Set in the universe of DC comics (ding!), this show is about the more human side of the superhero battles as an insurance firm seeks to protect people from the effects of those attacks. Behind the Scenes- This stars Vanessa Hudgens who was in the High School Musical series and Grease Live ten years later (both with her as a high schooler). Alan Tudyk, who was in Firefly, Con Man, Newsreaders, Suburgatory, and other shows and movies, is a character. My Thoughts- I think that this is quite good and funny. I’ll admit that it could be a bit better, though. Part of its problem is being set in a weird universe that’s mostly unknown to the viewers. But it is worth watching, especially if you were wanting something to see after The Big Bang Theory. I give it three out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- This will probably not last. Where to Find- On NBC at 8:30/7:30 Central on Thursdays

Superior Donuts: Show Description- This is a comedy show about people in a donut shop. It replaces the likely cancelled The Odd Couple, although that could actually return at some point. Behind the Scenes- This show features Katey Sagel from Married… with Children, 8 Simple Rules, Futurama, A to Z, and Sons of Anarchy. My Thoughts- The show was really lame and uncreative. It didn’t really offer much. I give it one out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- I think that this might last until a second season, but I’m not sure if it will last much longer than that. Where to Find- On CBS at 9/8 Central on Mondays

Doubt: Show Description- This is a drama show about defense lawyers. It replaced Code Black although Code Black could return at some point. This show’s cancellation gets it replaced by the returning show Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders. Behind the Scenes- First off, this show was already cancelled, but I’ll get to more of that later. What is notable is that it was the first cancellation of the season yet it was cancelled in February. It might be the latest on record as first cancellation. Also, this show stars Katherine Heigl, who appeared in Grey’s Anatomy, State of Affairs, and various movies. It also stars transgender Laverne Cox from Orange in the New Black. My Thoughts- I really liked this show, even if it didn’t seem that much different than the usual courtroom drama. It was a bit insightful in a way. I give it three out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- This is already cancelled and pulled from the schedule. One can hope that it returns to burn-off the rest of its episodes at some point. Maybe it could replace Ransom when its run ends. Where to Find- Not currently on the schedule

The Blacklist: Redemption: Show Description- Tom Kleen joins forces with his mother (who doesn’t know that he’s her son) and other people to do different cases. Behind the Scenes- This is a spin-off of The Blacklist featuring Tom Kleen’s character. My Thoughts- There might be some of a problem with this regarding originality as it seems to be almost identical to The Blacklist except for a different cast. But, this is a pretty good show and if you like The Blacklist, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t like this. It seems to be an interesting show. I give it four out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- This will probably not last so Tom’s character will probably move back to the main show in its next season. Where to Find- On NBC at 10/9 Central on Thursdays

Taken- Show Description- This is a prequel to the Liam Neeson movie Taken. Behind the Scenes- As mentioned before, this is set before the movie Taken set in the days the main character from it was a government operative. It stars Michael Irby from The Unit. My Thoughts- For some reason, this show just didn’t click with me. I didn’t quite like it and it wasn’t that the show was bad per say, but more that the show didn’t really stand out in any way. I give it two out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- At the moment, it looks likely to survive into next season. We’ll see if it lasts beyond that in the future. Where to Find- On NBC at 10/9 Central on Mondays


Making History- Show Description- A man carelessly travels through time and messes up history so he tries to help fix it with his friend. Behind the Scenes- This show stars Adam Paley who was in The Mindy Project. My Thoughts- I’ll admit that this could be considered among the stupid genre of comedies. But while it could be improved upon in some places, it is a rather decent show that is worth watching more than once. I give it three out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- This will probably not last. Where to Find- On FOX at 8:30/7:30 Central on Sundays

No comments:

Post a Comment