Saturday, October 15, 2016

Thursdays in Primetime Version 3

Thursdays are the most competitive nights on television. All the networks put all their best shows on the same night. It is impossible to watch everything good at this time, unless, of course, you record some things to watch later or watch what you can’t see online. NBC airs some popular dramas and an hour of comedies. CBS airs Thursday Night Football right now, something that they will now share with NBC for seemingly no good reason.ABC shows their popular TGIT night which are all dramas by Shonda Rhimes. FOX has a constantly changing lineup that I won’t bother to keep track of. The CW shows Supernatural and Legends of Tomorrow. There are no losers and every network seems to win in their own right. The reason this night is the most competitive is the high demand of advertisers for the movies that will come out the next day. I have seen a lot of these shows so here’s my views on them:

Superstore: Status- Currently on NBC at 8/7 Central on Thursdays. Why I’ve seen it- My mother was originally interested in it, so I recorded it for her and watched it myself. Description- This is a comedy about people who work in a store and the adventures that ensue. Notable People- America Ferria from Ugly Betty is in the cast. She might have also created the show too. Pros- This show is interesting and different. Cons- There really isn’t much that this show offers. It can be weird. Note to Parents- This is probably the standard amount of what you’d expect in terms of what is acceptable or not for your kids to watch. Recommendation- It isn’t terrible, but I wouldn’t watch it again. Prediction- I say that it might last, but only given NBC’s general lack of comedies that they have to rely on. They need something, right? Reception: mixed/average. Grade: D. New review

DC’s Legends of Tomorrow: Status- Currently on Thursdays at 8/7 Central on the CW. Why I’ve seen it- I had an obligation to watch one midseason replacement on the CW plus a general interest in the show. Noteworthiness- This is adapted from The Flash and Arrow TV shows using characters from them and from DC comics. It is set in the general Arrowverse. Description- A time master gets a team of people from our time to save the world from a threat in the future. Pros- I love this show and think that it is awesome. The plot is good and gripping. It is very interesting and keeps you coming back for more. Cons- It’s only potential problems are with its connections with other shows and it potentially dragging on too long. Note to Parents- This is probably the standard amount of objectionable material, although it doesn’t seem as focused on sex as some shows. Recommendation- You should watch this if you don’t already have more important commitments. Prediction- This will probably last for a while, if all goes well. The only thing against it is whether there are simply too many shows for it. Reception: mixed to positive. Grade: A. New review

Grey’s Anatomy: Status- Currently on Thursdays at 8/7 Central on ABC. Why I’ve seen it-Desire to find a medical drama to watch all the time on a regular basis. When I realized that I liked medical dramas, I also realized that they always cancel the ones that I like, so I figured that I should watch this since it isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Noteworthiness- It is the longest running drama on ABC to still be in production. Description- A medical drama featuring a large cast of doctors of both genders solves medical problems that sometimes relates to their own team. I’m not really sure how to describe it that well so you might understand it better if you watch an episode yourself. Notable People- The only notable person I can think of is Patrick Dempsey, who does various movies. There are a lot of people who are and were with the cast that are famous, so I can’t keep track of them all. Some of them are famous from being on the show. Pros- This show is pretty interesting and humorous. Most of the large cast is focused upon most of the time. The medical aspect is well-done. It isn’t always about the same characters all the time. Cons- The show can be quite complicated and hard to understand and follow, especially if you don’t watch every week. If you don’t like soap operas, then this show probably isn’t for you because of the format it uses. There’s too much sex in the show as well and most people wouldn’t like the morals present. There are too many characters to keep track of on a regular basis and sometimes a lot of the cast isn’t in a certain episode. Recommendation- Take it or leave it. If you don’t like it now, you never will. Prediction- This could last a long amount of time, but I think that it could potentially end in the near future as well. Reception: somewhat positive. Grade: C+.

The Good Place: Status- Currently on NBC at 8:30/7:30 Central on Thursdays. Why I’ve seen it- In order to review this for another blog of mine, I watched it. Description- A comedy, a woman finds out that she is dead, but in the good place. The main problem: she’s not supposed to be there. Notable People- Ted Danson, who was in many shows in the past, among them Cheers, CSI, and CSI: Cyber, is a character on the show. Kristen Bell, who did many movies and Veronica Mars, is the main character. Pros- The show is different and interesting. It tries to keep religion out of it so as to not offend anyone. Cons- The idea of things going wrong with the good place in death is a bit hard to believe. It lacks a certain amount of charm that you would want it to have. It doesn’t seem as funny as it could be. Note to Parents- This is borderline is terms of what is acceptable to let your kids watch or not. Recommendation- I’d honestly just leave this is a toss-up for now at least. Prediction- It might last a while, but I’m not sure yet if it will last long. Reception: positive. Grade: C+. New review

Notorious: Status- Currently on ABC at 9/8 Central on Thursdays. Why I’ve seen it- Basically, there was nothing else to watch at the timeslot when it first aired. Description- It’s hard to say for sure what it is about, but it appears to have many plots and has an overall focus on newsmakers. Notable People- Shonda Rhimes, who is known for many dramas, the most notable being Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, and How to Get Away with Murder, helps make this show, although I’m not sure if she created it. Pros- The show is interesting and I hope that it can be good as it continues along. Cons- It seems to rely too much on sex as usual. It can also be hard to tell if these are people to root for or not. Note to Parents- I wouldn’t let your young ones watch this. Teens might be okay, but I’m not so sure about that compared to what you’d see on this show. Recommendation- Take it or leave it. I’ll watch it for now, but I wouldn’t be torn up over a cancellation. Prediction- I’m not sure that it will last that long right now. It only seems to be filing the gap until Scandal’s return anyways. Reception: negative. Grade: B-. New review


The Blacklist: Status- Currently on NBC at 10/9 Central on Thursdays. Why I’ve seen it- I don’t know why I started watching it, but it was probably because the promos made it look good or something like that. Description- Okay, I don’t really understand what this show is about yet. It’s intriguing enough that if you can’t tell what it is, you still might want to watch it to figure it out. Apparently it is about some law enforcement agency going after very dangerous criminals that are on something called the blacklist. Notable People- James Spader, from movies and other things I’m not familiar with, is a main character on the show. Pros- This show is very interesting and keeps you coming back time and time again. Cons- It can be hard to understand. The show is very violent and bloody. Recommendation- I’d say that you should probably watch it. Prediction- I think that it will stay a long time since it’s doing better than most NBC veteran shows. Reception: critically acclaimed. Grade: B.

No comments:

Post a Comment