Saturday, July 23, 2022

The Ethical Implications of Watching Bootlegged TV Shows

I’ve done it. I’ll admit it. I know that a lot of people have done it. I don’t like to do it. I don’t want to. But sometimes, there is no other way to see a show than seeing the bootlegged version of it. What are some of the problems that this causes? And what do I mean by a bootlegged TV show?

 

Honestly, I’m not even sure if this something that I should be talking about in this blog. While I’m not sure that watching bootlegged shows is always illegal, I do think that it is morally questionable, hence this blog post. I do know that downloading things are always illegal and could get you in trouble.

 

Why do this if you find it immoral? Well, it is hard to say in every instance. I’ve done it at times when I didn’t know how else I would see the show. I tried to look for the last episode of The Ellen DeGeneres Show on the official website but couldn’t find it there. Thus, I had to watch it on YouTube. I also could not find an episode of CSI: Cyber to blog about on CBS’s website once as I missed my chance to see it since it was too long since it aired. Thus, I watched a version of it that was on YouTube. (I remember seeing how the YouTube video had 32 views and I was mocking its low ratings in my mind by thinking, “Wow! That’s more people than what watched the episode when it first aired.”)

 

There’s not much else I can say regarding this post. I won’t get into all of the times I’ve done this and may have to do it again if I can. I do know that I reused the title of a post by mistake. While the post was different, last week’s post should have been something different as I had already covered once why renewals and cancellations don’t always stick. I won’t make up the post. I’m going to end this one here and hope that I can get posts done without repeating myself, leaving things incomplete, and not doing a lot of random things while focusing on what I like to do instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment