Saturday, August 21, 2021

Summer Shows 2021 Part 2

I have very little time to write the rest of the posts for this blog for the rest of this month as there are some time sensitive posts that I’ll need to get done over time. There are some that I might not get done at all and others that are coming very late. I even plan to do a special apology post that would appear in this blog and apply to all of them.

 

Fantasy Island: Show Description- A woman brings people to an island with supernatural powers where they learn a life lesson under the guise of living a fantasy of theirs. Behind the Scenes- This is a remake of a show of the same name and might be set in the same universe as the new main character is said to be a descendent of the original one. My Thoughts- It seems like a pretty decent show. It is good in enough ways, although maybe not as interesting as I would like. I give it three out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- I don’t know if this will last, although it might. Where to Find- On Tuesdays at 9/8 Central on FOX

 

Family Game Fight: Show Description- Two families compete against each other in various games for the most points and a shot at $100,000. Behind the Scenes- Married couple Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard are the co-hosts of this show that also compete in it with the families. Ellen DeGeneres also created this and is inspired by some of her talk show’s games and her game show, Ellen’s Game of Games. My Thoughts- It seems pretty good and fair. I can’t think of much wrong with it other than the weirdness of some of the games. Long Term Prospects- This will probably last, but just as easily might not. Where to Find- On Wednesdays at 9/8 Central on NBC

 

Here, we switch to returning shows as I get to the later ones that I believe are on. You may notice that there is at least one new CBS show that I’m not including in the reviews and I’ll explain pretty soon why I’m not going to see every new CBS show which isn’t what I used to do. It won’t get its own post like some other subjects do.

 

Stargirl: Status- Currently on the CW at 8/7 Central on the CW. Why I’ve seen it- It looked good and interesting. Noteworthiness- This is adapted from the Stargirl comics by DC comics. Description- A teenage girl gets a cosmic staff believed to be from her father that turns her into a mystic superhero called Stargirl. Notable People- Amy Smart, from movies, is a character on the show. Pros- Very well done in terms of being character driven among nearly all of its stars both big and small, it is hard to think of much that’s bad about it. Cons- I do worry that it has the problems of having to see every episode to understand it. Note to Parents- There are some issues with this, but also good life lessons as well. I suggest that preteens and older can watch, but not too much else. Recommendation- I think that you should watch it and as long as it isn’t a part of Arrowverse, you don’t have too much to worry about regarding it. Prediction- This is renewed for a third season while airing its second. I hope that it lasts long enough, but we’ll see. Reception: positive. Grade: A. New review

 

The Greatest #AtHome Videos: Status- Currently on CBS at 9/8 Central on Fridays. Why I’ve seen it- I used to watch every new CBS show at least once. Description- Various internet videos that have happened since the start of the pandemic are shown. Notable People- Cedric the Entertainer, who also stars in The Neighborhood and has started in Cedric’s Barber Battle, is the host of this show. Pros- What I saw wasn’t bad at all. Cons- I don’t really like TV shows showing us what we can just see on the internet instead. This isn’t something that I care about. Note to Parents- This might be fine. I can’t remember anything too bad. Recommendation- This isn’t worth keeping up with. Prediction- This will probably keep lasting. Reception: average. Grade: D. New review

 

Big Brother: Status- This CBS show airs in three hours of primetime during the summer and on live internet feeds at www.cbs.com. The three primetime hours are basically split into the mostly live show where people are voted out, the show where people get nominated to get voted out, and the show where people compete to possibly change the nominations on the show. Why I’ve seen it- A parody of it on the Talk interested me in watching the real thing. Noteworthiness- There are many versions of it in other countries, most of which work very differently than ours. In case you were wondering, we were not the first country to do this show, although we were the first country to use the format that it has in almost no other country’s version of it. Description- A group of people, normally strangers, but sometimes not, are put into a house where they are recorded 24/7 and competing for a money prize. Notable People- Julie Chen, formally of CBS’s Early Show and The Talk, is the host of this show. Pros- While it may seem similar to other reality TV shows, it is very different to the usual. You can see whatever you want to online since CBS has live feeds of what goes on inside the house. Cons- The live internet feed gets cuts a lot making it seem like the people that air the show is hiding something. Tons of controversies have arisen on the show. The contestants often aren’t nice people. Note to Parents- I’d say that teenagers can watch this. I wouldn’t go with much younger than that as the typical episode can have enough objectionable things in it. You can watch it with them and decide for yourself what it is like and if you want to comment on it a lot to explain some of it, that would work. Recommendation- This show is a pretty good show to watch. My viewing habits- I got into this late and for varying reasons don’t know yet if I’ll watch it again. I might not see it again as it is too much of a time commitment. Prediction- It will probably last a long time, although it just as easily might not. Reception: mixed. Grade: B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment