Saturday, July 17, 2021

Supernatural Shows aren’t Science Fiction

I just don’t get it. I have no idea why so many people tend to link the idea that a show like Charmed would be science fiction. There is nothing remotely resembling science fiction in that show. And yet, so many people seem to think that any supernatural themed show is automatically science fiction in some way, somehow. I don’t believe that this is the case at all.

 

I mean, there already is a name for the type of show that uses supernatural like elements. That type of genre is called supernatural. Why label it with science fiction when it clearly isn’t? I don’t get why this is done constantly at all.

 

Maybe I should explain more what I mean by science fiction and why I think that supernatural shows are different. Science fiction typically uses advance technology, is set in the future, features time travel in a certain way, uses superheroes (although superhero shows can be different enough from what I can consider science fiction at times), has people going to alternate realities, or any combination of them. And while some of this may show up in supernatural shows, you won’t see technology responsible for this at all in any way.

 

While this post may not have done that well a job explaining my thoughts on this subject this time around, I did think that it is good to express my opinion into this wrong line of thought. I can’t believe that Wikipedia would think that Supernatural is the longest running science fiction show when the very name of the show implies that it has nothing whatsoever to do with science fiction. What is up with the very flawed line of thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment