Saturday, June 19, 2021

The Sophomore Slump

This is a term that I have not invented myself as I’ve seen it used in various places. What the term means is that a show will falter in its second season in some way after airing a strong or much better first season. That’s the gist of the terminology. 

I am writing this post due to recent examples that I can think of. After being so good and interesting in its first season, Prodigal Son was too different and just wasn’t the same the second time around which was one of the reasons why it was cancelled. I also didn’t like Pandora as much in its second season as too much of the first season cast was randomly gone with little to no explanation and there were other issues with it as well. It seems likely dead with no third season.

Why would we want a show with a sophomore slump to continue on? Well, maybe that second season will be the worst of all of them, with more than just the first season being good in comparison. Like I would hate to think of just how horrible it would have been if the original Charmed ended after just the second season because I think that of what I’ve seen of the original show, the second season just did not work out as well as it could have been compared to the rest of the series. But it is understandable why they would want to cancel a show after an unimpressive second season.

There isn’t too much else to say as I seek to finish writing all of the posts that I want to do and feel that I need to do. I haven’t had much time and should give up my blogs as I’ve probably stated before in this or other blogs of mine before. But I’m going to keep at it for now and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment