Monday, January 6, 2020

A Golden Globes Complaint

While I was not able to see the Golden Globes that aired yesterday, I do like them at times. I like to see it. But there are parts of it that I don’t like. And I figured that now would be a good time to complain about it since they just aired.

What are the complaints that I have about it? For one, they know nothing about what is a comedy versus what is a drama. While it is clearer to some that drama get more awards in the movie making industry, the Globes have a solution by letting there be two categories as there is one for comedy and one for drama. But, since dramas are more likely to win awards, the Globes decide that it is best to just nominate movies that are clearly dramas as if they were comedies. Giving them the wrong label is just a terrible decision. They have done that with the show Glee. Clearly a drama, they say that since a musical can also be a comedy, they give that the award instead of actual comedies.

Another problem that I have with it is that they constantly use Ricky Gervais as a host. While he has not always been the host, he is often too crass and kind of an ass. He jokes don’t always work and he is not a good form of entertainment hosting this show or often any other show. He is good at acting, but you should not let him be just a person talking about opinions. His tweets, for instance, have forever tainted my opinions of the man. Don't follow him if you want to enjoy him.

The awards can drag on too long and be full of strange moments. Not all of the awards seem like they are worthwhile in some way. There is a feud of sorts between the TV people and the movie people even though they are all performers and working for the same people doing the same thing, TV actor is quite different than movie actor in their minds even though people are often both, sometimes at once.


That’s all for this post. There’s not too much else to say. I wish that the Globes could be better in some ways and don’t have that many complaints about it in the end, actually. I might do one about this for the Emmys at some point. I doubt I would for the movie themed Oscars outside of my complaint that they do not air the TV actors or others in their dead actors montage, something that would be okay if the Emmys ignored movie actors, which they don’t. But I digress. Maybe things will get better with them in the future or maybe they will do whatever rules they want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment