Saturday, January 28, 2017

New Midseason Shows: 2017 Part 1

As usual, here’s a set of reviews of the new, midseason shows that air this season. I’m splitting this into multiple parts again because it will probably only work that way in the future. If it is possible for me to avoid this, then I will. But I’m working on a new set of reviews for primetime as always (I’ll probably keep doing each day of the week for as long as possible) and I’ll need these to be part of it.

Star: Show Description- I’m honestly not sure if I understand the plot of it or not. There might be singing, but it seems to be a racial drama about women who might be in danger and cause danger. Behind the Scenes- This has the same creator as Empire. My Thoughts- The show seemed too weird and didn’t make much sense. It can try to tackle serious issues, but I don’t know if that’s the point that gets across or not. It is hard to understand and seemed too serious, in a way. That, and the show was just skanky. I give it two out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- This might last some for now. Where to Find- On FOX at 9/8 Central on Wednesdays

American Housewife: Show Description- This is more or less your average sitcom revolving around a family of people. Behind the Scenes- First, I offer my disclaimer that this is not a midseason show as it is a new fall show that I only recently saw for the first time. This show stars Katy Mixon from Mike and Molly. My Thoughts- This show was better than I first expected. While it does have some problems and I’m not sure I’d watch it all the time, it is better that some of the promos would make it seem. I give it three out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- It might last for now, at least. Where to Find- On ABC at 8:30/7:30 Central on Tuesdays

Ransom: Show Description- People help with Ransom situations. Behind the Scenes- This is a Canadian show that’s airing in the US. My Thoughts- I thought that it was pretty interesting and good. It may seem similar to other things that I’ve seen before, but it’s about the same type of good quality that I’ve seen from the others. I give it four out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- This is on Saturdays for no good reason and will not last at all. Where to Find- On CBS at 8/7 Central on Saturdays

Emerald City: Show Description- A reimagining of the Oz world puts a modern day and more adult themed twist on the story of Dorothy, who is now a black woman instead of little girl, among other changes. Behind the Scenes- A worrisome thing about this show is how long the delay for it getting onto the air actually took. Over the course of a few years, it went from being a potential project, to cancelled before it made an episode, to coming back to project development, to possibly airing sometime last season, to finally airing this season. Normally delays are bad in terms of long term success, so keep that in mind as this airs in the future. My Thoughts- Okay, parts of this show are strange, which can be expected with fantasy shows. But I thought that it was interesting, even if it was confusing in a way. I give it three out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- It started out good in the ratings, so if it can stay that high, this show will actually last. If not, it will end. Where to Find- On NBC at 9/8 Central on Fridays

Big Fan: Show Description- This is a game show that pits fans of celebrities versus other fans and then the actual celebrity in question. Behind the Scenes- This is based off of a segment that Jimmy Kimmel does on his talk show. It is hosted by Andy Richter, who is the sidekick on Conan. It also has different celebrities in each episode. My Thoughts- I guess that this sort of works as a show, but it’s not as interesting or as good as it’s supposed to be. For one, it doesn’t seem like there’s any real prizes being given unless memorabilia counts. Plus, the show seems kind of dumb in some ways. Regardless, I still give it a good score. I give it three out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- I have no idea, to be honest, but I would say that this might not last. Where to Find- Not currently on the schedule

Hunted: Show Description- A self-described reality thriller, this show has various pairs of people on the run from people trying to catch them. Behind the Scenes- I’m not sure what to put here, except that this might be CBS’s attempt at filling the winter gap between Survivor seasons, something they don’t always do successfully. My Thoughts- This show appears to play into people’s fears of government surveillance, the way they have the hunters tracking teams. It also seems a bit contrived in a way. But the show is interesting and different. You don’t see things like this that often. I give it three out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- I don’t know if this will last or not. I don’t think that it will, but maybe it can. Where to Find- On CBS at 8/7 Central on Wednesdays

Riverdale: Show Description- I’m not sure if I understand the plot just yet. From what I can tell, it seems to be another mysterious things happening at a high school show that you honestly see far too often on the CW. Behind the Scenes- As is almost always custom on the CW, this is adapted from something else, in this case, the Archie comics. My Thoughts- Well, this seems stereotypical in a way. If there’s supposed to be a supernatural aspect to it, it hasn’t come across on the show just yet. Honestly, this probably has all the problems you could expect from a CW show. But, I do think that there is enough potential in it that it might be good. I’ll be watching it again. I give it three out of five stars. Long Term Prospects- I don’t know ratings yet at this point, but I don’t think that it will last given the huge amount of renewals that the CW has already given to most of its shows. While it could last, I don’t see that as likely right now. Where to Find- On the CW at 9/8 Central on Thursdays


This ends part 1 of the planned reviews. I honestly don’t know if I’ll have time for much, if any, new shows in the future. I hope that I do and plan to watch some in the future. But I’m also not sure if I will be able to watch as much as I’d like to. I guess that we will see. To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment