Friday, November 22, 2013

Wednesdays on television version 2

I know that I've posted information about TV shows on Wednesdays before. I figure that I will post information about this and various other weeks again since there are new shows that I haven't reviewed yet and shows originally on other nights that I haven't reviewed yet. I think that most of this is relatively the same since when I first posted it a long time ago. So this might be a lot of the same shows mentioned over again. I have a mark next to the new reviews. Some of them might have changed a bit. But I am still updating this and hopefully I will talk about other new shows when a lot of them premiere and I'm already keeping track of the cancelled shows this season. Some are rumored to be cancelled but aren't yet. Some of them will probably get cancelled although we will have to wait until the official cancellation to know for sure (although some cancelled shows never have an official cancellation). I even joke about a probable cancellation in one of the show's reviews. So without further ado, here is a list of Wednesday TV show reviews.

Wednesdays can be a bit of a bore on television. There are some interesting shows but most of it is not worth your time. Yet it also has some of the best shows. ABC shows its comedies which are currently Modern Family, Super Fun Night, and The Middle. NBC shows Law and Order: SVU. The CW shows Arrow and The Tomorrow People. CBS shows Criminal Minds, CSI, and Survivor. I haven't seen much of them that aren't listed here, but I'll tell you about what I have seen. There are no winners or losers, merely competitors.


 

The Middle: Status- Currently on ABC at 8/7 Central on Wednesdays. Why I've seen it- Survivor reruns happened and I heard this was good. Noteworthiness- It is tied with Modern Family as longest running ABC comedy. Description- The comedy adventures of an ordinary family in Indiana. Notable People- Patricia Heaton, who was Debra from Everybody Loves Raymond, is the mother. Neil Flynn, from Scrubs, is the father of the show. Pros- Mothers would like this show. It is quite funny from time to time. The youngest kid's quirkiness is humorous. Cons- Some inappropriate stuff comes up sometimes. Recommendation- I say that you should watch this show if you can. You'll especially like it if you don't like Survivor. Prediction- It will last a long time. Grade: B+.


 

Survivor: Status- Currently on CBS at 8/7 Central on Wednesdays. It was on Thursday for a long time until it switched with the comedy blocks. It might have changed because March Madness would move it to this slot for that time and the network decided not to bother changing it for that time. Why I've seen it- I think that other people in my family liked it and I found it interesting as well and started watching. Noteworthiness- It shows two seasons a year; one in the fall and another in the spring. The current season they are on is their 27th. There has been something new that happens on this show that has never happened in previous seasons. While most reality shows don't have as good ratings as scripted shows, this has good ratings that show scripted shows could envy. It is also the adaptation of the Swedish reality show, Expedition Robertson. It is considered the first American reality show and is the longest running one on CBS if you don't count a news related show. Description- Contestants compete against each other to see who will survive 39 days and win a million dollars. Every week, a contestant is voted out and the last few people face a jury of previously voted out people who vote one of them the winner. Notable People- Jeff Probst is the host. Mark Burnett is the creator of this show. Pros- There is a different cast each season so if you don't like one season you can stop watching and watch the next season. The contestants are interesting sometimes. Drama is always pleasant. Due to the competition nature of the show, it can't legally be scripted like a lot of reality shows are. Something new always happens in each season. Cons- The people that you hate can make it far while the people that you like get eliminated first. The basic plots of some seasons can be similar to each other. They like to recycle ideas, locations, and challenges. It can be hard to find a normal season anymore. A lot of controversies have arisen on the show. This show has indirectly made every other reality show. They have a tendency to keep having returning players each season which can be off-putting to those that aren't already fans of the show. Lately, people have not liked most of the new seasons (beyond the twentieth season, at least). Recommendation- Take it or leave it. I like it and think that you should watch it, but not everyone has my opinion of this show. Prediction- It will last as long as it has the same host, enough viewers, and enough money. If the host changes, it might leave the airwaves shortly after although another network like the CW might still have faith in it which could lead to a dramatic retooling of the show plus a fight with any other networks that might want it (if any do). Besides, this is the type of show that can be off the air for an extended amount of time and suddenly return with new people. I even had a blog about it, if you didn't already know. Grade: A-. http://adamdeckersurvivor.blogspot.com/


 

Revolution: This NBC drama airs at 8/7 Central on Wednesdays. Why I've seen it- I thought that it looked good. Description- A world has existed for fifteen years where electricity (supposedly) no longer exists anymore. A band of survivors try to make their way in this new world with what remains of the old one. Pros- This is an interesting concept that I'm surprised no one has come up with yet (although I could be wrong about that). Cons- The show is strange, dark, and hard to comprehend. Recommendation- I think that it is worth your time. Prediction- Toss-up. I think that it is just as likely to stay as it is to be cancelled. Grade: B-. New review


 

Arrow: Status- Currently on the CW at 7 Central or 8 Eastern on Wednesdays. Why I've seen it- I wanted to watch a CW show that was new at the time. This show was new last season. Description- The CW drama is about the comic book character Green Arrow. I don't know if it is accurate or not to the source material. Pros- It seems interesting enough to keep potential viewers coming back and watching it again. Cons- It seems like every other superhero drama. Recommendation- Take it or leave it. If you have time to watch it, then you should. If you aren't interested, then you aren't missing out on anything. Prediction- It will stay around because this network needs another hit. Grade: B. New review


 

Modern Family: Status- Currently on ABC at 9/8 Central on Wednesdays. Why I've seen it- Free time at the time and general interest in the show. Noteworthiness- Like The Office, it is a fake documentary meaning it presents itself as a reality show, when it isn't (Although certain "reality" shows are that way). It has inspired ABC to look for families like the ones on the show. Whether anything will come of that besides 20/20 interviews is another question. It is a popular show winning awards as is the longest running comedy on this network along with The Middle. Description- A look at the people an extended family of "normal" ones and not so normal ones. Notable People- Ed O'Neil from Married with Children is present. Other people might be famous either before or after the show aired. Pros- This is a funny comedy that attracts all different people like the families that are like this. There are good episodes a lot of the time. Cons- The episodes do not always have enough material in them and move by too quickly. Inappropriate material shows up often. Recommendation- Watch this show if you like it. Prediction- Since it is the most successful comedy on ABC, it will last a long time. Grade: A.


 

Criminal Minds: Here I state my very brief review of this CBS drama that airs at 9/8 Central on Wednesdays. I saw it once and I didn't like it. It was too dark and I'll never watch it again. I'm not sure what else to post here except that even the first main character left over creative differences on this show and the thought that it was too dark. I don't know if I'll ever do a more in-depth review of it or not, but I will if people want more. I give it no grade. New review


 

Law and Order: Special Victims Units: Status- Currently on NBC at 9/8 Central on Wednesdays. Why I've seen it- I forget why I started watching. Noteworthiness- It is the longest running drama spin-off on television as well as the longest running NBC drama. It is also the only primetime drama to premiere last millennium and still be on the air producing new episodes. It is a spin-off of Law and Order. Description- A group of people known as the special victims unit (SVU) investigate sexual crimes and crimes that happen to children as well. Pros- They never show the crimes. The plots are interesting and different. There are always twists that keep you hooked on the show. They use real life cases as an inspiration, but not as what actually is shown. Cons- The show may never end. They regularly switch head writers because it has been on so long. The endings are normally not happy. It has a rather grim subject for a show. Recommendation- Give it a chance and you might like it. Prediction- It will last until people stop watching for some odd reason. Grade: A+. New review?


 

The Tomorrow People: Status- Currently on the CW at 8 Central and 9 Eastern on Wednesdays. Why I've seen it- Promise to watch a CW show since the others I watch aren't on a regular basis at the time this first appeared. Noteworthiness- It says in the opening credits that it is based off of something by the same name. I'm not certain what it was, but this could be a remake of some sort. Description- This show is a science fiction show about an advanced race of humans with special powers, the people that are against them by hunting them, and the main character who is a double agent trying to help his kind. Pros- The show is very interesting. You don't have to watch all the time to keep up with the storyline (although it does help to always watch it). Cons- This show seems like a lot like of the other shows and movies in this genre. Recommendation- If you have time or like the network then you might want to give it a chance. If you don't like science fiction, then don't watch it. Prediction- I could see it lasting a while, but I don't know what could happen on this network. Grade: B-. New review


 

Super Fun Night: Status- Currently on ABC at 9:30/8:30 Central on Wednesdays. Why I've seen it- Not sure if it was a mistake of some sort or I wanted to watch a new ABC comedy. Description- I think that this has the adventures of a woman and her friends with an enemy as well that complicates things. Although, I'm not really sure what the show is about and you probably wouldn't understand it either if you watched it. Notable People- Liza Lapira, who starred on NCIS as a recurring member and had roles both minor and major in various cancelled shows like Dollhouse, Traffic Light, Super Fun Night, and Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23. Pros- The show is unique. Cons- This show is terrible. First of all, my main problem with comedies and why I don't like them are that they aren't funny when they are supposed to be. I'm not certain what the plot of the show is. Recommendation-Don't bother watching it. Prediction- I don't see it lasting that long. Grade: F. New review


 

CSI: Status- Currently on CBS at 10/9 Central on Wednesdays. Why I've seen it- I watch one of its spin-offs so I thought that I should watch this as well. Noteworthiness- This was once the most watched drama on television until it was replaced by NCIS. Its pilot was passed by three different networks, ABC, NBC, and FOX, before it was picked up by CBS. It is also the longest running drama on CBS and used to have two spin-offs (one indirectly), although it could have more in time. Description- A team of people solves cases using Crime Scene Investigation. Notable People- Ted Danson, known for various comedies, actually, is the main character of this drama, although he didn't used to be. Pros- This is a good crime drama which goes more in-depth into how they solve crimes and catches the person who committed them. Cons- Not enough women are represented. A lot of other shows are just like it. Probably isn't realistic. It has lost its main character, not once but twice. Main characters have been known to leave in the middle of a season. Recommendation- Take it or leave it. Prediction- Its end will come, I just don't know when. Grade: C.

No comments:

Post a Comment