Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Tuesdays on TV

Here, at long last, in my reviews of various Tuesday TV shows. The reason that there are not many of them listed is because not much good is on. There are some shows that I haven't seen on Tuesdays and probably some I will never watch anyways. I'm still not sure if I want to include other days of the week again or just do one huge blog post full of various unposted reviews. We'll see. For now, this is the Tuesday night shows I want to review.

Tuesdays are a competitive night on television. Except for CBS and the CW, all networks have an hour of comedies at this time. It is also when some of television's most popular shows are on. The only problem is that the shows are so good, you won't be able to watch them all.


 

Dads: Status- Currently on FOX at 8/7 Central on Tuesdays. It has been given a full season order. Why I've seen it- I thought that I might like it, even if the vast majority of people don't. Description- Two male best friends have to endure their fathers moving in with them. Other friends are in the cast. Notable People- It has Seth Green (known for Robot Chicken, Family Guy, and various movies among other things) and Brenda Song (known for The Suite Life of Zack and Cody). Seth MacFarlene works on the show, but I'm not certain if he created it or not. If there are other famous people, then I'm not familiar with them. Pros- It is pretty humorous and mostly good. Cons- There are bad stuff that pop up, like the typical sex and jokes in poor taste in most TV shows, that might turn people off. Most places I've read don't like the show. Recommendation- If you keep an open mind when you watch it, you might like it. If not, then you probably won't want to watch it. Prediction- It probably won't last that long due to the somewhat bad viewership and bad reviews. Grade: C+.


 

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Status- Currently on ABC at 8/7 Central on ABC. It was given a full season order. Why I've seen it- Interest in the Marvel world after having seen various superhero movies based on their works. Description- A team of agents tries to help superheroes in both helping people and not harming people. Notable People- This show is done by Joss Whedon, who is known for creating science fiction shows that enjoy cult status and are typically not always enjoyed by everyone. Examples include Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, and Buffy the Vampire. Pros- It is considered a good show to some people. You don't have to be a fan of the Marvel world to understand this show. Cons- It felt like there could be more in it. It seems to be lacking the heroes and the action of the movies as well as the drama content. Recommendation- Take it or leave it. Watch it if you like it. Prediction- I don't know if it will last or not, but it's possible that it will even on a network that is known for screwing with its shows and cancelling more than any other network (I think). Grade: B+.


 

NCIS: Status- Currently on CBS at 8/7 Central on Tuesdays and syndication on networks like USA. It is the most watched drama on television and has a spin-off that is still on the air. Why I've seen it- My brother and the rest of my family liked the show and I thought it was good enough to watch all the time. Noteworthiness- It is a spin-off of the show JAG and is in its 11th season. At least at the beginning, the cases on the show were inspired by real cases. I don't know if they still are. It has a spin-off. Recently, it had its highest ratings possibly because it no longer has American Idol to compete with. Description- A team of federal agents solves murders of marines and navy members as well as other crimes. Set in Washington DC. Notable People- Donald Bellisario created this show. Although no longer the head writer, he is still an executive producer. Mark Harmon is Leroy Jethro Gibbs. David McCallum is Ducky. Michael Weatherly is Tony. Pauley Perette is Abby. I can't tell you how they are famous, but most of their current fame is with the show alone. Pros- It stays fresh despite its long time on the air. The humor is quite interesting and the cast doesn't change much. Cons- It is running out of steam. The creator of the show is no longer the head writer. Recommendation- It is one of my favorite shows. I say watch it if you have the chance too and aren't already. Prediction- It will last a while more and might have another spin-off when changes happen which they will in time. Grade: A+.


 

Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Status- This show is on FOX at 8:30/7:30 Central. It has received a full season order. Why I've seen it- The critics like it and I thought that it might be good. Description- It is a comedy-drama (mostly comedy) that has cops solving crimes in a humorous way. Notable people- This show has Andy Sandberg (formerly from Saturday Night Live), Terry Crews (known from Everybody Hates Chris), as well as other famous people I don't know that well or what they are from. Description- A group of cops investigate various crimes in a humorous way for a change. Pros- I'd have to say that it's pretty good how it takes stuff that could be put in a drama and has a funny spin on it. Cons- The usual bad morals are present and a lot of the humor is hit and miss. Recommendation- This show is pretty good and I recommend it. It's nice to see a cop comedy instead of the typical cop drama. Prediction- I don't know if this show will last or not. I hope that it does, but it might not. Grade: A-.


 

The New Girl: Status- Currently on FOX at 9/8 Central on Tuesdays. Why I've seen it- I thought that it might be good and I like the actress who plays the main character. Description- After breaking up with her live-in cheating boyfriend, Jess, the new girl, moves into a new place with three guys. Also in the cast is Jess's best friend. Notable People- Zooey Deschanel, known for being in various movies, is the main character. I'm not certain who else is noteworthy or not. Pros- The show is quite funny most of the time with the quirky characters that it has. Cons- As usual, bad morals are present like sex and stuff like that. Recommendation- I'd say that you should watch it if you have the time. Prediction- It will last 100 episodes and probably longer. Grade: B.


 

NCIS: Los Angeles: Status- It is currently on CBS at 9/8 Central on Tuesdays. It has been sold into syndication. Why I've seen it- I watch NCIS so I figured that this would be good as well. Noteworthiness- It is a spin-off of the popular NCIS. The agency it is based off of (office of special projects) does not really exist in real life (although the information I have on that could be wrong). Description- The office of special projects of NCIS which is located in Los Angeles investigates different crimes. Notable People- Chris O'Donnell, known for different movies, is the lead agent G Callen. LL Cool J, a rapper and also known for different movies is Sam Hanna. Linda Hunt, known for different movies as well, is Hetty. There are probably others I'm forgetting about. Pros- This is different from NCIS, but still good enough to keep you watching. The undercover assignments are funny and interesting. Cons- It is not as good as NCIS and unrealistic at points. It still seems to be finding its place because the cast has already changed a lot for reasons mostly unknown. Recommendation- I say that you should watch this show if you like it, but not if you aren't already into NCIS or military dramas like that. Prediction- It will last a long while because of the syndication deal. It might get cancelled before NCIS ends, but it has really good ratings and will stay a long time. Grade: B.


 

The Mindy Project: Status- Currently on FOX at 9:30/8:30 Central on Tuesdays. Why I've seen it- There must have been nothing else good on at the time. Description- A doctor of some sort (I think) has some sort of adventures with her friends. Notable People- Mindy Kaling, from the Office, is the main character of this show. Pros- It has a good lead-in and can be funny at times. Cons- Not much good or interesting things happen on this show a lot. It can be quite a bore. Recommendation- I'd pass on this show and not watch it. Prediction- I don't see it lasting much longer. Grade: D.


 

Person of Interest: Status- Currently on CBS at 10/9 Central on Tuesdays. Why I've seen it- I thought that it looked good so I started watching it. Description- People work outside the law to stop crimes before they happen. Notable People- Jim Caviezel, notable for films like the Passion of the Christ, is the main character. Michael Emerson, from Lost, is another character. Amy Acker, from various TV shows like Drive, Dollhouse, and other shows and movies, is a main character as well. Pros- It lives up to the hype that people like the show. It is interesting and keeps you watching. Cons- The show can be ridiculous at points with its plots and a lot of it is unrealistic. Recommendation- I'd say that you should probably watch it since it is good. Prediction- It will last a while if it keeps the good ratings it has. Grade: B.

No comments:

Post a Comment