Saturday, May 13, 2017

My Planned Viewing Habits: Summer of 2017

With the main fall TV schedule about to end and the relaxing summertime about to happen, there are still things that are worth watching on TV. I always watch a lot less over the summer and tend to watch just one thing at a time instead of various multiple things. There are different ways the summer schedule could wind up going down and it depends on what is and isn’t coming back. I’m not sure that everything is set in stone for sure now anyways. But, let’s start with the two wildcards.

CBS all access decided to put a season of Big Brother on during the fall, but kept it as an online exclusive for subscribers of their ironically named service. Because of this, I don’t know whether or not I’ll go back to Big Brother this season. I might not watch this upcoming season or any Big Brother season ever again. That’s not to say that I hate the show now. I just don’t like the fact that it aired online. Plus, there are other potentially interesting things to watch on at the same time.

The other wildcard relates to My Network TV. They air different things in different regions. I’ll talk about my region, of course. On Wednesdays, they are currently airing reruns of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I have missed a lot of this show in the past. This means that I could ignore anything else that airs on Wednesdays to watch this show instead. That show is likely to be cancelled so if I don’t like the ending that the show has (provided it is cancelled this season), I might not watch the reruns anyways.

Outside of the wildcards, there are still more shows with unknown fates at the moment. For instance, the show Beyond the Tank hasn’t aired since last spring after filling the gap of the cancellation of the show Of Kings and Prophets. I doubt it would be coming back and I doubt that I would even watch it in the first place. I’m not sure if Mad TV is returning and that seems unlikely right now. That, I would watch if possible. I only saw part of Maya and Marty once, but I’d like to see that if the show returns and the network comes in where I live. The future of BattleBots seems unlikely although I might watch it should it return. Better Late than Never was renewed, but isn’t on the schedule just yet. I’ll get to that later. I’m also not sure if there is a future for Primetime: What Would You Do?

Before I go any further, it is worth noting that there will be some regular season shows that will be spilling over into the summer schedule. For instance, iZombie and the final season of Reign will still be airing in June. I plan to watch them still during the summer. I’m not sure what else might still be airing in the summer as I don’t know the season finale dates for a lot of shows just yet.

If they air any more of Doubt, Time after Time, or Powerless, I should hopefully be able to watch them whenever they air. I just don’t know when they will air and if I’ll be able to catch them. Doubt might be the only one of them to continue to air in the future, although it could wind up only being on CBS all access, which wouldn’t surprise me.

What are all the returning shows that I would want to watch? Well, if NBC actually comes in where I live this year, I might watch The Night Shift. Reception problems are the only reason why I haven’t given it a shot yet. I might watch American Grit this season. I didn’t last season then thought it was cancelled, only it wasn’t actually. There was too much to watch last season when it started. I could wind up seeing To Tell the Truth at some point, although I’m not sure if I will or not. It depends on how long it lasts and if it comes in where I live. If I’m not watching Big Brother, I could wind up seeing Celebrity Family Feud.

Now that I’ve said what old shows I haven’t watched before, I might as well mention the old ones that I do plan on seeing again. Of course, there is a note I’ll get to about that later. The returning summer shows that I will probably watch again are The $100,000 Pyramid, Penn and Teller: Fool Us, Masters of Illusion, SNL Weekend Update Thursday, and Whose Line is it Anyways?

What new summer shows am I planning on getting into? Well, I’m not sure that I can watch all of or any of these considering how some will compete at the same time. One of the shows that I might watch isn’t new but is a reboot instead. It is The Gong Show. I’m not sure that I’m that interested in it though. I also don’t know yet if I care enough about World of Dance, although I am planning on watching it. Since I normally watch the new CBS shows, I am planning on watching Candy Crush and Salvation. I am planning on tuning into Hooten & the Lady once since I’m trying to see any new CW shows if possible. All the other new shows that I might watch are Steve Harvey’s Funderdome, Superhuman, & Love Connection. Of course, there is one last thing to add.

Things can change despite what my original plan was for them. Last summer, I was going to watch Penn and Teller: Fool Us, but ultimately didn’t as it aired against Big Brother and I either couldn’t tell that before or it was going to air at a different time originally. I didn’t end up seeing that much of Masters of Illusion either as I decided to watch movies on Fridays instead of all of primetime. I would have watched 20/20 most times to fill the gap and only ended up seeing Primetime: What Would You Do? There were other things that I wanted to watch but wasn’t able to. I may also five less priority to watching shows on Mondays and Tuesdays since I’ll want to watch movies then instead. That doesn’t mean that I won’t watch movies other times, but I will want to keep at least 90 minutes free on those nights if possible. These movies could disappear from those nights.


That’s all that there is to say about this blog post. You’ll see over time new reviews over what summer shows I do wind up seeing. I might even do more than one review of summer shows given new, weird OCD habits that I have with reviewing primetime. I guess you’ll see over time what might happen and change over the summer in terms of how this blog is posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment